Google Wifi Integration (Custom Component)

Any chance this integration could have the ability to request the Google Wifi network to reboot?

It does. There is the ability to restart the network or just individual access points.

That seems to be an issue with a few installs. I actually have mine set to restart my network every morning at 2am for stability. But I had stability issues before building this.

oh I’m an idiot. I was looking for reboot, and not restart :doh: rtfm right lol

This is a wonderful integration, thanks for making this! I have a couple of questions regarding the usage:

1. I’d like to setup an automation “prioritize my work laptop at 9 am & 1pm for 4 hours every weekday.” Documentation shows “Additionally there are two custom services to allow you to set and clear device prioritization.” but I can’t figure out how to prioritize a device using YAML. Has anyone does this or can point me to something similar?
  2. I was happy to see “connected_ap” attribute for each device. I’m planning to build a lightweight in-home presence (upstairs vs downstairs) based on the connected_ap value. I understand it may not be 100% reliable. Has anyone else attempted something similar using connected_ap?

I too have had reliability issues with my Google WiFi network since installing this into Home Assistant. I had no idea what the cause was, and looked at many things before finding this discussion. I’ve now deleted this integration and stability has returned. It is a shame, because the integration is very useful. If a solution is found that would be fantastic, but for now I’m going to have to live without.

Steve.

1 Like

Hmm. I think you might be onto something. I’ve had similar issues but untill yesterday, never thought to question the “measuring tool” … Might the the quantum nature of the Google wifi.

Integration enabled, I get emails about my Nest Cam offline daily (or more sometimes).

Integration disabled, no emails. Network rock-solid … Hmm.

Gonna leave it off for a few days … All I wanted was a list of nodes per point … and maybe automation based on which point I’m connected to … Guess I can do without for a bit.

Unfortunately that seems to be an issue on some networks - haven’t yet been able to isolate what creates the stability issue. I have some stability issues with or without it with 4 pucks and nearing 100 devices online. I actually use the automation to do a network restart every night at 2am as a way to help with the issues - seems to improve it for me (admittedly not the best solution but my next step is to replace the whole rig with something more robust given the # of devices I’m running).

I set up a ping sensor in HA to monitor the network so I have a record of when it went down, even if I wasn’t looking. Most days, sometimes multiple times per day. Since disabling this plug-in, nothing. Rock solid. I’m 100% convinced this is the cause, but how, I’ve no idea!

I have 3 pucks and typically about 40 devices, so not as busy as yours. Restarting in the middle of the night would annoy my son, unfortunately :slight_smile: I really did like that I could build a dashboard that reassured me that all the important devices were properly connected. And that I could tell who was home from which mobiles were connected! But the unreliability is just too much to be workable, sadly.

Just as a final observation, as I said I set up a ping sensor in HA to monitor my network and count the occasions I lost connection. Here’s the graph:

Guess when I uninstalled the Google Wifi integration…

After I installed the plugin the network became unstable. This is a new installation of HAOS on Pi4.
Usual web surfing and application has no problems. When i do real time traffic like video conference or teams meetings, the connections freezes. I have tried refresh intervalls as long as 120 seconds, but still lost connections. Disabled the integration, and everything is back stable. Any tips @djtimca ?

Unfortunately some installs seem to do that. Mine stays stable although I do schedule a network reboot over night which solved my instability before the integration. But for some reason on some networks the instability seems to happen.

1 Like

I have a mini pc with ubuntu server 20.04 running Home Assistant on docker.
I cannot make my google wifi gen 1 work. I got the token fine but in the log I keep getting this error:

I try fo find a solution here in the chat but coudn’t
Can anyone help?

OMG you’re a hero!

I’ve been having issues with my wifi for so long now and it seemed nothing was fixing it. Every day sometimes 2-3 times per day my internet would just drop across the entire house. The only thing that would fix it would be to pull the main puck from the wall. That would keep me going for a few hours at least.

Hopefully OP gets this fixed because i would love love love to be able to use this more reliably. I would also have issues where i would try to turn a devices internet off but it just wouldn’t work.

I’m trying to build a chore tracker so that my kids can finish their chore then walk to the living room tablet to mark the chore/homework as finished which will then turn their internet back on for the day.

I switched to a Google Nest WiFi system about a month ago and found it to be dropping out occasionally. I installed the integration at the same time as receiving the system. After following the advice on here, I’ve uninstalled the integration and the WiFi has been reliable for over 2 weeks now. I do hope the issue is resolved as it would greatly aid presence detection and device tracking.

For me was the same. WiFi was going down every 7 days or so. As soon as I removed the integration my WiFi has been stable for weeks.

Is there a way we can help to debug this to fix it? Really love the integration!

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to figure out what part of the integration is causing the instability. My hunch is that Google doesn’t like the system calling their cloud APIs for status so frequently, but without the calls being frequent there isn’t much benefit to the integration.

I have mine set to restart the network via HA automation every night at 3am which seems to keep me stable on the network. I have only had to restart once in the last 3-4 months this way.

I’m happy to collaborate with someone who has more time to look at more troubleshooting, but unfortunately other than the occasional bug fix I can’t do much more right now on this one.

Maybe a bit off topic here but allow me to be silly for a sec… I just bought a pair of Google Wifi mesh and the “router” has a wan port so it gets an IP form my private IP in the 192.168.1.0 range and then creates another private 172.16.x.x range for the clients which consist of a bunch of stuff including some google chromecast audio… So … how will HA see them as they are “behind” the google router/ap for instance?

This integration sees all of the devices that are assigned an IP/managed through the Google Home/Wifi system. So if they are managed in Google Wifi/Home app, then they will appear here.