Govee BLE Thermometer/Hygrometer sensor

This is the first bluetooth device I am trying to set up.
Nothing is standing out as an issue. That is what is confusing me.

Under sensors I have the following:

- platform: govee_ble_hci
    hcitool_active: true
    govee_devices:
      - mac: "A4:C1:38:FC:95:78"
        name: Refrigerator

Log file data:

Update of media_player.samsung_lr_tv is taking over 10 seconds
10:02:42 PM – helpers/entity.py (WARNING)
Updating samsungtv media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10
10:02:42 PM – Media player (WARNING)
TODO: unhandled HCI Event packet, type=HCIPacket(event_name='Command_Status', event_code=15, subevent_code=None, data=b'\x01\x01\x04', length=3)
7:34:36 PM – /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/bleson/providers/linux/linux_adapter.py (WARNING) - message first occurred at 7:34:04 PM and shows up 3 times
You are using a custom integration for govee_ble_hci which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
7:31:48 PM – loader.py (WARNING)

If you are using version 0.6 or newer of the component, hcitool_active is not necessary. The “unhandled HCI Event packet” may mean that something else if configured with Home Assistant that uses Bluetooth, that may be an issue later on but there would be an error. I am assuming you have rebooted the device, not restart HA, reboot the raspberry pi. After that, seeing that it is called “Refrigerator”, there may be interference. The signal on the rPis does not seem to be as strong as other devices. Place the thermometer next to the rPi to see if you can get data, then figure out what may be interfering with it.

I am using version .8, I will remove that. Yes I had rebooted twice.
Looks like you were right. I moved the sensor closer and it read it almost instantly.
Thank you!
I will look at options for using an ESP32 to help improve range.

Glad you found the source of the issue but cannot prove much help beyond that. Others have described items in their refrigerator like jars causing issues. Even if you use an ESP32 to improve the range, you may still need to be mindful of what is around the device.

That is good to know.
My thought is that if I can use an ESP32, I can place that in the kitchen where it will be able to receive the signal better.

I too found that bluetooth and zigbee were pretty sensitive to the RF noise in my ‘server room’ where the HA server is. I went a rpi route for my collector device rather than a ESP32, but was able to get great signal from 20 ble sensors by moving the rpi to a HVAC closet that was centrally located had vertical access to allow the rpi collector to be placed up high. It is an old rpi with internal bluetooth, I tried adding an external usb bluetooth adapter on a USB 2 extension cable, but found I got just as good reception with the internal bluetooth adapter as the ‘away’ usb adapter, so went back to simple. I am able to pull solid reading from BLE units 25 meters away thru multiple walls and from fairly distant refrigerators and freezers as well. Being able to get the rpi away from other RF noise and centrally located seems to have yielded the most significant effect on consistency and number of readings I can get. I first placed the collector in a media center and found the RF noise there almost as bad as the ‘server room’.

That’s interesting since mine was behind the TV. I don’t have many options for placing one as a receiver. I’ll have to get creative. Yo
u bring up some good ideas.

I look at as an opportunity I guess, create and sell a portable ‘all in one’ RF, CO2, CO, VOC, Radon, Radiation meter for your home, with optional ‘fart gun’. I will sell it opposite the ‘Flowbee’ haircut solution on late night TV when all the HA folks are trying to get their house to work before the ‘significant other’ give them ‘the eye’ again when something does not work :wink:

I remember laughing at the Flowbee commercials. The funny thing is I know two people that have them. It came up around the camp fire the other night.

But wait, there’s more…

1 Like

Hi, I have correctly configure it in Hassio the Govee H5075. The temperature and the humidity arrive in perfectly, by the configuration in github :slight_smile:
but…after some time, I have decided to install Home Assitant by docket on the Raspberry OS.
After the same operations I not receive anyting …

…there are some differente cnfiguration to apply ?

The container must be run with the --privileged flag. I suspect this is your issue.

1 Like

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:
I had recreate the container with this configuration:

docker run --init -d
–name homeassistant
–privileged
–restart=unless-stopped
-v /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config
-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
–network=host
homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:stable

now work correctly :slight_smile:

Noob here with an issue, hopefully someone can tell me what I’m missing.
Getting no entities, devices etc after Govee BLE installation.
Rasperry Pi 4B 8G with Home Assistant OS 2021.2.3
No external Buetooth dongle.

1. Installed Govee Integration using HACS and it shows in the HACS integration list.
    2.Stopped then Started Home Assistant.
  2. Entered following into Configuration.yaml:
sensor:
  - platform: govee_ble_hci
    govee_devices:
      - mac: "A4:C1:38:39:FD:22"
        name: BAR_FRIDGE
      - mac: "A4:C1:38:OD:F9:1B"
        name: WOODSTOVE
      - mac: "A4:C1:38:CF:D3:DC"
        name: KITCHEN
      - mac: "A4:C1:38:OB:96:F7"
        name: OUTSIDE
  1. Restarted Home Assistant multiple times.

Have the Govee App installed on my android phone and running with all 4 sensors showing.
All 4 sensors are within a few inches of Raspberry Pi and show up on a Bluetoothctl scan in Terminal.
Nothing is discovered after multiple restarts and waiting.
The only Log entry is:

2021-03-01 11:56:46 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.

2021-03-01 11:56:55 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.webhook] Received message for unregistered webhook 222e9b76efeadad466b1bf9bff9f4aa5b91e42310170ebeccb54de40f2623abd from 192.168.86.51

The IP is my Android phone and I get this error whenever HA boots when I have the Govee App running on that phone.
Loving HA and this is the first real obstacle I’ve had. Everything looks right to me but I am obviously missing something. Any Ideas welcomed.

The only thing that I can think is restarting Home Assistant only restarted the UI. Make sure to do a full power cycle restart of the Raspberry Pi itself. That sometimes helps if the Bluetooth control is in use by some other process or the libraries didn’t install in the correct order. Are there any other Bluetooth components installed on HA? There may also be a conflict but normally there is an error that would say so.

I have done a full Pi restart (probably a few by now), been working on this for 4 days. I’m not prone to run for help at the first sign of trouble, in fact this was my first request for any assistance.
No other Bluetooth components. Have a Z-wave network using a dongle and integration running with no issues.

Huh. I’m stumped. The only thing I can think of is the zwave dongle is being initialized before the bluetooth controller and using hci0 and doesn’t throw an error because it supports scanning. Shot in the dark, try adding changing the HCI device by adding hci_device: hci1 to your config.

No Luck!
added hci_device: hci1 to config
restarted HA
power cycled Pi
restarted HA twice
unplugged Z-wave Dongle and set hci_device: hci0 again
power cycled Pi
restarted HA
put Z-wave dongle back in
restarted HA, (z-wave working fine)
(waited at least 15min after each restart or power cycle)
sensors are all H5101 and all reading on Govee App
am i right to assume the app should be running and connected to sensors when restarting?

The Govee app interacts with devices in a different way. This component reads the beacon signal sent out every second. Are there any errors in the logs under Supervisor->System->Log Provider? If something is not working correctly, there is usually something in the core log

Log Provider
Core
[services.d] done.
2021-03-01 18:30:06 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2021-03-01 18:30:17 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of recorder is taking over 10 seconds.
2021-03-01 18:30:25 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Ended unfinished session (id=41 from 2021-03-01 23:12:15.668664)
2021-03-01 18:30:35 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /dev/ttyACM0 : ['NoneType: None\\n']"
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 239, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 436, in async_setup_entry
    options = ZWaveOption(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 81, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Error when retrieving device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Error when retrieving device /dev/ttyACM0 : [\'Traceback (most recent call last):\\n\', \'  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__\\n    raise ZWaveException(u"Can\\\'t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))\\n\', \'openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can\\\'t find device /dev/ttyACM0 : [\\\'NoneType: None\\\\\\\\n\\\']"\\n\']'
2021-03-01 18:30:35 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.webhook] Received message for unregistered webhook 222e9b76efeadad466b1bf9bff9f4aa5b91e42310170ebeccb54de40f2623abd from 192.168.86.51
2021-03-01 18:31:17 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Updating yamaha media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
Client error on /homeassistant/restart request Server disconnected
s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 
[18:34:44] INFO: Using udev information from host
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
2021-03-01 18:34:50 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2021-03-01 18:34:58 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /dev/ttyACM0 : ['NoneType: None\\n']"
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 239, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 436, in async_setup_entry
    options = ZWaveOption(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 81, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Error when retrieving device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Error when retrieving device /dev/ttyACM0 : [\'Traceback (most recent call last):\\n\', \'  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__\\n    raise ZWaveException(u"Can\\\'t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))\\n\', \'openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can\\\'t find device /dev/ttyACM0 : [\\\'NoneType: None\\\\\\\\n\\\']"\\n\']'
2021-03-01 18:34:59 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.webhook] Received message for unregistered webhook 222e9b76efeadad466b1bf9bff9f4aa5b91e42310170ebeccb54de40f2623abd from 192.168.86.51
[cont-finish.d] done.
s6-svscanctl: fatal: unable to control /var/run/s6/services: supervisor not listening
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[18:50:57] INFO: Using udev information from host
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
2021-03-01 18:51:03 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
[cont-finish.d] done.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[19:05:58] INFO: Using udev information from host
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
2021-03-01 19:06:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2021-03-01 19:06:13 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.webhook] Received message for unregistered webhook 222e9b76efeadad466b1bf9bff9f4aa5b91e42310170ebeccb54de40f2623abd from 192.168.86.51
2021-03-01 19:36:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2021-03-01 19:37:23 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2021-03-01 19:37:23 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection

I do not see anything related to govee_ble_hci but given all of the zwave component errors, that may be preventing this component from loading. Try disabling the zwave component and see if this one starts working.