Govee Smart Air Quality Monitor

thats great news, thank you!

Available with now Theengs Gateway
https://gateway.theengs.io/install/install.html#install-theengs-gateway-as-an-add-on-in-home-assistant

or OpenMQTTGateway
https://docs.openmqttgateway.com/upload/web-install.html

noob question… but I run home assistant in a docker, i dont have an ‘add on’ store in my settings. do you know which route i would have to take to get this to work?

Hi @randypfau

While there currently is a backlog with getting the Theengs Gateway Docker image updated to the latest Theengs Gateway release, the existing Docker image should already have the H5106 included.

https://gateway.theengs.io/install/install.html#install-theengs-gateway-as-a-docker

or some of the other available installation options as a possibility for you.

Noob question: I see this monitor includes both BLE and WiFi. Any reason for the preference for BLE? Local control / no cloud dependencies?

Correct, the BLE broadcast reception is completely local with no cloud dependency at all.

Ok, thanks. I’ve not used any ESP32s for anything, so I guess I get to play with openMQTTgateway next.

1 Like

You can also try our Theengs Gateway HA Add-On if your H5106 is in BT reception distance to your local machine running HA with its Bluetooth adapter.

And I think the device has also been included now in the ble-monitor integration since we first implemented it in Theengs Decoder.

All the best with your H5106 :slight_smile:

Don’t want to hijack this thread but wanted to ask you something. Can the theengs plug work with an AirThings wave radon?

We don’t currently support this device, but any device which freely broadcasts its data through BLE advertising data can be added to the library.

Doing a quick scan of other AirThings Wave Radon integration though, it seems that connections are required to read the properties, something which is currently out of the scope of Theengs Decoder/Theengs Gateway Add-On.

Thanks for the info and your explanation about the device requiring a connection makes sense and jives with what I’ve experienced.

I am currently using the standard ble integration for this and it works ok. I’m just worried about the distance between the device and my HA server. Was looking for something to use as a middle man.

But anyway like I said I don’t mean to hijack this. Sorry to OP!

Using an ESPHome device with Bluetooth relay turned on would be a good option

So I actually have had this set up.

I’m running the AirThings ble integration with the Wave Radon in the storage room and my HA server on the main floor. I have a ESPHome device with Bluetooth active located near the Wave Radon in the storage room.

Maybe I’m not familiar enough with ESPHome but is there any way to tell if this is even helping? I am receiving regular updates in HA from the Wave but I can’t see any way to tell if the Wave is communicating directly with the HA server or if the ESPHome device is relaying the messages.

So I have Theengs gateway up and running and posting to MQTT. I now have one of the Govee AQ sensors, and have it communicating with HA. Interestingly, I had it configured via BLE directly with HA, and it would report temp, humidity, and battery, but not the PM 2.5. Now on Theengs, it reports PM2.5, temp, and humidity, but no battery.

Also, now I have a TON of Apple devices listed in MQTT; approx 80. Obviously I don’t have that many devices, so its like it is picking up a message and creating an new device for each.

Hi @simps

Sorry about the current Apple iPhone/iPad flooding. This unfortunately happens if the Theengs Gateway (Add-On) has been newly installed which then pulls in the latest Theengs Decoder, which already has the Apple Watch, iPhone and iPad decoding included, but for Theengs Gateway it will be until the upcoming new release, that these Apple devices are then only correctly discovered if they have been assigned by the user with the Identity MAC address and Identity Resolving Key.

Please bear with us just a few more days. Until then you can delete these entries and add APPLEDEVICE and APPLEWATCH to the existing IBEACON under DISCOVERY_FILTER in the Theengs Gateway configuration.

Once the new Theengs Gateway (Add-On) has been released you will also be able to correctly use any of your Apple iPhone/iPad(s) as local Bluetooth device trackers.

This is correct, the freely broadcast BLE advertisement data does not contain the battery info, only a connection to the device is able to retrieve this, which is currently not in the scope of Theengs Gateway.

Apologies again for the interim random MAC address Apple devices’ entries when newly installed Theengs Gateways were out of sync with an updated Theengs Decoder. The recently released version fixes that and now correctly allows you to auto-discover your iPhone/iPad or Apple Watch as device trackers when defining their Identity MAC addresses and Identity Resolving Key with an additional unlocked property for security relevant automation conditions.

1 Like

@DigiH Thank you for the update! I have installed the latest update to the gateway and will setup my iOS devices soon. Am I able to remove the Apple entries from the discovery filter?

Yes @simps, you can safely delete them from the discovery filter now, and if you follow the instructions on how to retrieve your Apple devices’ Identity MAC Address and Identity Resolving Key

and enter them in the Theengs Gateway Add-On settings as described in its documentation you should see them similar to my posting above.

Let us know if you have any queries with it.

1 Like

@DigiH Thanks! Last thing. I see that the instructions require a Mac to get the IRK of the device. Are there any other methods for those of us without a Mac?

@simps

Let us know how you get on with these instructions

but I have to admit I haven’t personally tried any of these myself so far.

For the Theengs Gateway integration the IRK would need to be in base64, which you can convert from any hex format you might get with an online converter.