Greekworm UPS Hat

Thank you for your suggestions. So I see you did some modifications to the installation procedure. Can you please outline what you did ? And what was the result ? I am considering buying but I need to know where I get myself into.

Hi.
The modification is just one - replaced the model name from x720 to x750 at sensor.py file. The effect from this is when I open lovelace to see x750 battery but not x720 battery. Nothing serious.
But for buying UPS module for RPi - Iā€™m definitely :+1:
Because for safe shutdown and for backup electricity (if itā€™s stop suddenly) Itā€™s worth it.
For the model - x708 and x720 are good enough. Iā€™ve bought x750 because of 4 pc. of 18650 slots( for powering some other devices too - it gives 5V 8A totally)
RPi4 will consume 2A and you have 6A for other devices(in my case with RPi3 7A)

1 Like

Hello,

I have the new X728 v2.1 from Geekworm.

The default installation is located here:
https://wiki.geekworm.com/X728-Software
does your installation guide work with the X728 v2.1 as the mentioned board here seems to be a little differentā€¦?

It would be great if Geekworm made its own addon for hassio for its componentsā€¦

1 Like

Using a forked and modified custom integration the UPS is working (shows data)

(Yes I know the link says x750 but I changed it to x728, I wasnt sure how to really change the link address)

The UPS seems to be calibrating itself thats why it still shows above 100% capacity

4 Likes

Haha, that looks really nice! Tought a bit of a waste for an 3B :smiley: ā€¦ thatā€™s driving really on its edge there.

Iā€™m running it on a 4B/8GB and tried an short adventure towards an UPS Hat from 52pi ā€¦ turned out waste of time too. No solution I looked at actually worked in a good way ā€¦ lots and lots of issues, randomly shutting down the PI e.g. ff.

So I finally went for a real USV from Eaton Ellipse with an USB-Interface - having almost the same size as your custom made case. But being independent of that unreliably piece of HAT mess ā€¦

Elsewise Iā€™d really just use a Powerbank with Pass Trought Charging as instead of any of these ā€œHATā€-s

I know this is an old thread, but did someone manage to integrate the shutdown-knob to read it out? I tried it with the gpio-addon from hacs, but no success (pi4) ā†’ can be config error

Tried your addon with x708 and it works! Previously, everything worked according to the method described by rasterer, but after the next update HA, it stopped working by itself. I checked everything I could, but it did not work.
Lucky your addon worked. Thanks a lot.

All good afternoon.
Achieved normal work with ups x728, but will go for similar ones. Tested on HA 2022.5.4 everything works fine, sensors output charge and voltage. I slightly changed the code of the sensors from ā€œMarekā€, I had to stop working with the HA update. I also added a line with the code to the config, now when you give the command to turn off the raspberry, it turns off and the ups itself turns off too. It will be good when a lot of power is gone and oops switches to battery operation. When power is applied, the UPS turns on and the raspberry starts up normally. Now updated to HA 2022.5.5 and everything works fine. If anyone is interested, I can post it.

1 Like

It works for me with x750 v.2.1. 0x36 means that I2C is not correctly configured. This issue should be resolved with this tutorial, but mine wasnā€™t. I had to create a USB config stick, described here, and do all the actions from aforementioned tutorial also on the USB stick. Remember to use Linux file endings in config files. I didnā€™t have to install smbus2 for Home Assistant Operating system.

It would be much appreciated if you could share the config line for shutting down the UPS! I have the x708 and used the addon from CryptZars post. Iā€™m using HA 2022.6.4.

theolodeTobias
Go to the boot directory, open the config.txt file
Should be like /boot/config.txt
Enter at the bottom
#Ups power off
dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff,gpiopin=13
Where gpiopin=xx is what you have

2 Likes

Thank you so much!
It worked with pin 13 on my x708!

Is it possible to safe shutdown Raspberry just after AC power OFF and NOT when batteries are low charge? how to do?

Amazing! dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff,gpiopin=13 allows me to safely shutdown RPi 4 and cut the power from X708 2.0 using command shutdown -h now, without using any x708off Geekworm software shutdown script, which actually does not perform SAFE shutdown and cuts the X708 power before all system services are stopped.