Group showing that shouldn't be

I’m using v65, running in Docker on a Nuc.

One of my groups keeps showing up on the dashboard even though it’s not in the default view. It’s strange because another group also not intended to show, is indeed not showing as desired.

Here’s the groups.yaml:

default_view:
  view: yes
  entities:
    - group.living
    - group.harmony
    - group.kitchen
    - group.office
    - group.power
    - group.bedroom
    - group.family
    - group.ecobee
    - group.cameras

family:
  name: Family
  entities:
    - device_tracker.6c4d73163069
    - device_tracker.b4f1dae9a8e6

cameras:
  - camera.front_door

bose:
  name: Bose
  entities:
    - media_player.bose_left
    - media_player.bose_right

display:
  name: Display
  entities:
    - light.hue_lightstrip_plus_1
    - switch.monitor

office:
  name: Office
  entities:
    - light.office
    - light.vestibule
    - light.hue_lightstrip_plus_1
    - light.hue_color_lamp_1
    - switch.wake_on_lan
    - group.display
    - group.bose
    - switch.blink_2

For some reason, there’s a card for the display group in my default view page (and it shouldn’t be there) but the bose group does not have a display card, as expected and desired.

One strangeness is that the card for Display only lists the hue_strip entity and not the monitor item. Also, within the office group card, instead of listing “Display” as the group, it lists the name of the strip instead. Is “Monitor” a key word causing some sort of subtle parsing problem?

Not sure about the display group showing up when it shouldn’t, but you don’t have the bose group listed in your default_view.

exactly - I don’t have it listed because I don’t want it to have it’s own card. I have the same intention for the Display group, yet is does have it’s own card. They are configured identically but they behave differently for some reason I haven’t figured yet.

I think the problem lies in your Office group where you’ve nested group.display and group.bose, so you have a group within a group within a group. Also there’s a recursive reference to light.hue_lightstrip_plus_1 (it’s listed in both the Office group and the Display group, which is again listed in the Office group).

Can you show us a screenshot of what your views look like? I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to achieve. Off the top of my head it sounds like you might need to use ‘view: yes’ to explicitly specify what’s a view and what’s not.

Oh, I had not noticed that the strip was still listed separately in the office group. I will delete that - not sure if it’s recursively exactly though, just duplicated. Here’s an image of what I’m seeing:

I do not want the Display group card there, and, since it’s not called out in the default group I don’t understand why it’s showing up. Notice there is no bose card, as expected.

This confused me before, I have customized the name of the strip to be “Backlight” which is the name shown in the Display card and in the Office card. But, the group as a whole should not have the name Backlight since that is only the name of one entity in the group, not the whole group. But of course the group Display is there, but so is the Backlight entity. Will get rid of that.

I will try to remove the strip from office and see if that has any impact. The “display” is a wemo switch for my monitor and the hue strip stuck behind it providing ambience.

Cheers!

Well, removing the individual strip entity from the office group did the trick! Don’t know why but appreciate you making the observation Poebae! thanks!

No worries, glad to help :slight_smile:

Sound like the group in group visibility bug outlined here