Group Sonos and Ungroup Sonos Based on Presence - Scripts & Automations

I think (not sure) you need to outdent the data key, like this:

action:
  - service: script.add_sonos_into_speaker_group
    data:
      target_player: media_player.bad

Hey guys, so in the future here 2023 and trying to get this script to work. It’s not going well…

Can someone confirm this script still works with todays HA build? Changed sonos service calls to media_player but it’s still giving errors out. If someone has this working today I’ll keep going trying to figure this out, if not, I’ll find another solution.

I never quite understood why there is need for “master speaker variable” and it’s maintenance every 5 mins. Maybe I’m missing something, but this is my automation which does basically the same as the scripts in OP, but without that variable. It allows to set “volume offsets” for different speakers, and doesn’t join living room speaker to others when watching TV (however, it joins the other way - if you’re watching TV and go to kitchen for drink, kitchen speaker joins and you’ll hear TV there).

- id: '....'
  alias: General - Music
  description: ''
  variables:
    volume_adjustment:
      living_room_speaker: 0.6
      bedroom: 0.8
      kitchen: 1
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.living_room_motion_group
    id: living_room
    - 'on'
    - 'off'
    to:
    - 'on'
    - 'off'
    variables:
      speaker: media_player.living_room_speaker
    entity_id: binary_sensor.kitchen_motion_group
    - 'on'
    - 'off'
    to:
    - 'on'
    - 'off'
    variables:
      speaker: media_player.kitchen
    entity_id: binary_sensor.bedroom_motion_occupancy
    - 'on'
    - 'off'
    to:
    - 'on'
    - 'off'
    variables:
      speaker: media_player.bedroom
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_select.mode
    state:
    - Day
    - Evening
  - condition: or
    conditions:
    - condition: not
      conditions:
      - condition: trigger
        id: living_room
    - condition: state
      entity_id: media_player.android_tv
      state: unavailable
  action:
  - if:
    - condition: template
      value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.state == ''on'' }}'
    then:
    - if:
        value_template: '{{ states(speaker) != ''playing'' and states.media_player
          | selectattr(''attributes.group_members'', ''defined'') | selectattr(''state'',
          ''equalto'', ''playing'') | first | default(none) != None }}'
      then:
      - service: media_player.volume_set
        data:
          entity_id: '{{ speaker }}'
          volume_level: '{% set oldplayer = (states.media_player | selectattr(''attributes.group_members'',
            ''defined'') | selectattr(''state'', ''equalto'', ''playing'') | first)
            %} {{ oldplayer.attributes.volume_level * volume_adjustment[speaker.split(''.'')[1]]
            / volume_adjustment[oldplayer.object_id] }}'
      - service: media_player.join
        data:
          entity_id: '{{ (states.media_player | selectattr(''attributes.group_members'',
            ''defined'') | selectattr(''state'', ''equalto'', ''playing'') | first).attributes.group_members[0]
            }}'
          group_members: '{{ speaker }}'
    else:
    - if:
        value_template: '{{ states(speaker) == ''playing'' and state_attr(speaker,
          ''group_members'') | count > 1 }}'
      then:
      - service: media_player.unjoin
        data:
          entity_id: '{{ speaker }}'
  mode: queued
  max: 10
2 Likes

Hey Tomas1, thanks. That is very helpful. I think the master variable is to keep the audio consistent throughout the rooms, so that if you walk into room 3 for example it will play the audio of the master controller and wont start playing whatever was playing last on that particular speaker, and it gets the audio levels from the master, but I agree there is better way to do that now as the media_player service seems more robust then it was 2 years ago.

Care to post your input_boolean, input_select, scripts, and automations yaml files? I’m not having any luck with what I have found thus far. Thanks in advance