Group value_template / state display

So I like how the groups display all the entities under it when you click on it. But I don’t like how it displays the state as on or off for some of my groups.

ui-lovelace.yaml

- type: entities
            title: 'Locks, Doors & Windows'
            show_header_toggle: false
            entities:
              - group.massgroup_security_locks
              - group.massgroup_security_doors
              - group.massgroup_security_windows

group

massgroup_security_doors:
  name: Mass Group Exterior Doors
  entities:
    - binary_sensor.sec_front_door
    - binary_sensor.sec_kitchen_door
    - binary_sensor.sec_deck_slider
    - binary_sensor.sec_basement_slider
    - binary_sensor.sec_garage_door_large
    - binary_sensor.sec_garage_door_small

In the UI I would just like it to say Closed or Open for the state displayed. I don’t want to use a binary template because I will lose the popup window the groups do in order to see all the entities and their controls under that group.

What would be the best approach for this?

doesn’t really answer your question directly, but it sounds like you want to list all doors/windows that could be open before you set the alarm?
if so I’ve done exactly that on a Fire tablet which I use as an alarm keypad.
Instead of listing everything or a group, I use a filter to only display windows that are open.

Nope this just shows windows open. But thanks

I know, but you can stack 'em to see open windows and anything else you want to see…

What would solve it is if they just had device class setting for groups. https://www.home-assistant.io/components/binary_sensor/

Since its state is a binary value anyways.

Or solve it yourself by making the binary sensor template and using the custom fold entity card. Or big label card. There are plenty of ways to solve this, but it requires custom cards.

If you’re dead set on not doing that, pop on over to the #feature-requests.

Oh i could solve it in a number of ways. Just seems dumb to use custom cards and templates when everything functions as is with a group except for the group state.

Since its not an actionable entity until something is on. A status / state display is all i am looking for. Then if something is on in the group you just click on it get the popup and see the entities with their respective control. That’s all working with group.

Here is a video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lph46f56ytlr6p4/hass-group.mov

1 Like

As I said before, feel free to make a Feature Requests about adding device classes to groups. It’s not a bad idea. But coming to the forum is for getting answers and solutions. Being upset about ‘missing functionality’ is pointless because you are complaining to other users who are here to help you solve your current issue. If you want to get a dev’s attention, you have to do 1 of 3 things. Create your own PR (do the code yourself), Create an issue (this will probably get closed because it really belongs in feature requests), or create a Feature Requests.

@petro I created a feature request already, we’ll see how it pans out. I think you took my response the wrong way not upset at all and appreciate any feedback.

Feature Request : Group State Display - device-class

2 Likes

maybe a silly thought, but since groups of device_trackers only have state home/not_home, I would have thought a group with only covers/doors/locks to automatically use open/close.

Not using these myself so cant really help, but what would happen if you create a cover group: https://www.home-assistant.io/components/cover.group/ and use that to show in the frontend?