Growatt Integration - Roadmap

HA does not receive that date/time information, just the kWh …aside that … HA is not able to register backwards in history.
You can try to update the values manually through dev tools > statistics but then you would have to ‘invent’ which energy / when. In most cases this has no added value aside having a nice diagram…but can not speak for your case of course

1 Like

With regards to the API Limits being hit.

Does the implementation make an API request for each of the Entities or one API request to return an Array of Entities data?

Would it help if people disabled some of the Entities not being used would than in turn reduce the API Requests being made to Growatt and thus help alleviate the issue somewhat?

Hi @smuggaz - Sadly not, the API gets everything in 1 or 2 queries, so reducing the entities etc wouldn’t make any difference

1 Like

Has anyone noticed their Growatt API suddenly started working? I got banned a few days back, and I re-logged in and it has started working. I’ve been using the solar production prediction instead of Growatt so now it’s nice to setup a graph of predicted solar production vs Growatt actual to see how inefficient my setup is :smiley:

Another idea I had, maybe it’s too basic and has already been tried, but can you set home assistant to only call the Growatt API once every 15mins or more? As the way I understand it currently calls it every few secs. That might fend off any bans from Growatt?

1 Like

Hi @mike_home_84 the way you can achieve what you want (reduced polling) is to disable automatic polling (see screen grabs):

Then follow my tutorial here: homeassistant-growatt_server_api/FAQ.md at 1b0ab2130c36f9ffd7330d7a9c0d0e7d27f26ec9 · muppet3000/homeassistant-growatt_server_api · GitHub but instead of setting it to 1 minute, set it to whatever threshold you want.

2 Likes

@muppet3000 Thanks mate! I’ll give it a shot. is it know whether this help people getting kicked out of the Growatt server? Or even better yet do we know what Growatt’s thresholds are to kick people out?

The limit seems to between 5 and 15 minutes, but I’ve seen some people getting blocked with as little as ever 1 hour.
The thing to remember is that if you do lots of restarts of home assistant in a short period then you’ll hit the API every time for a login request, that could cause problems too.

That makes sense, I’ve been setting it up over the past few weeks so have done lots of restarts etc.

Every 20mins is enough for me so I’ll give that a shot.

Just a thought for at least some that follows the GROTT way.

The EVCC is a surplus application that runs as a middle man to charge EV with surplus power only or with grid supported surplus (or in case of fastest charging speed grid only).

That has build in a proxy that listens to the modbus connection between the Growatt inverter and its Smartmeter which means it might get a lot of data too or might have a rock solid foundation how to listen to a growatt communication cause it is a quite stable system that has not been impacted by the growatt user ban / restrictions that I am facing from time to time in the evening in the app where I can not log in but still have access via browser.
A buddy of mine has been using the Growatt SPH 4600 ( 2 of them and also Min 4600) with the EVCC installation running on a raspi in a docker next to his HA docker. So far he was quite happy over the past 2 years or so.

Maybe EVCC guy have some more hints cause they are running this implementation maybe even longer.

Thanks for sharing @typxxi really useful information.

For anyone still following this thread, I’ve now released a Grott based integration, complete with a setup guide for Grott as well here: GitHub - muppet3000/homeassistant-grott: Home Assistant Integration for Grott - MQTT

Feel free to take a look and dive in.

I’ve already got some feedback on how to improve the documentation here: Configuration instructions corrections/edits · Issue #1 · muppet3000/homeassistant-grott · GitHub I just haven’t had a chance to improve it yet. So feel free to read through those and let me know if there’s anything else to add.

4 Likes

I can try it now cause I have abondened the stupid idea to run HA in a docker container on SonOff ihost. That runs but you have no command line, ssh, nothing. So no hacs, no addon store and what not.

Went to my workbench and pulled an old Pi 3 out of the dust in the drawer and now that is my Hassio Homeassistand and therefore I will start a setup from scratch and go your way after reading the documentation. Today Growatt had not complained. I also had reduced the polling to every 5 minutes (from HA) while the sticks from all inverters are running in a every minute mode. But that has never caused an issue in preivous 4 or 5 years. Everything began not when I started to use python api scripts from time to time but when I added the HA energy implementation. Since then in the evenings I am no longer allowed to log into the android app - while I am still able to login via web server.growatt.com

And I have also 5 Growatt inverters and a few more already in the garage so I can not live with the growatt idea of blocked account.

I still wonder why here on HA so few excellent comments with benefit get the deserved second to press a like or thumbs up even in such cases where you might not have a use but realize that it is well thought through or written.

This is one of these but just an example for so many small, improvised comments but so usefull once you get aware of it.

Therefore this shout out or thank you cause this works really for me cause it makes a clear difference to me or us cause if I pull only every 2min 30 sec. I am able to open the growatt app in the later noon and evening without blocking my access. I am so sure cause yesterday morning I had an issue I found out around 10 am when I saw no kWh in HA from the Growatt Inverters while the small balcon micro inverter had been working and reporting.
At that point I thought that I must have lost data or connection and checked it out , so to say pulled the plug sand enabled polling for updates again with the result of steep W peak in minutes or seconds.

But I paid the price in the noon where the family was unable to access growatt server from the phone and I thought to go back and try to run with your safer 2:30 min poll time. So I disabled polling again and checked the update script or automation. It works so my HA was running again and I hope that I will have app access in the evening again.

thanks for all the efforts and time you spend to get this whole story fixed in a way all will appreciate - maybe except Growatt even though you are adding a key value to the whole growatt product line Growatt has not to spend for.

Chapeau !

Just as a side note: The iHost can now run Home Assistant + HACS. With access to the configuration files via Filebrowser.

1 Like

Hi, I’m in the process of purchasing a inverter and have understood that there have been some issues with the Growatt integrations. Grott seem to be the solution. In what state is the grott integration compared to the cloudbased one?

Is it possible to set charging/discharging of a battery with grott?

Did you get/find any update about this?

GENERAL QUESTION: ShineLink LANBOX beneficial for a HA integration due to the local storage ?

Does the ShineLink LANBOX bring any benefits regarding HA integration cause our system is growing up to 8 inverter (5 there, 2 will be added later this year) ?

I have seen that box today in a 20€ offer so I had thought to try it out cause I expect better wireless connection cause for whatever reason I have seen sometimes missing data points for 20 or 25 mins ( I have 1 minute update intervall).
The 433 Mhz solution of the Shinelink LAN Box offers longer and a more stable range, but I was wondering, what the 1 day storage inside the Box would mean and if HA could benefit from that cause there was a hint somewhere that this would also run if the internet connection has broken.

And that made me wonder if that would not be something the HA integration could benefit from cause it would mean local data pulling.

I believe that’s what the grottserver is supposed to do but I haven’t tried it.

If you’re in process of buying, I’d avoid growatt if possible and look for abetter supported product in Home Assistant.

It seems that you can now run HAOS directly on iHost, I wonder if you have tried it?

1 Like

no, thanks.
We have had already 6 and for the last 2 or 4 I would not change the system cause the inverters work great and I do not care so much about HA cause I can get the consumption and production figures from somewhere else for a lot lot cheaper than upgrading or exchanging the infrastructure.
Here the min 4600 are less than 550€, the sph 4600 has dropped below 1000€ and I do not get anything in that price range with a 10 year waranty and low voltage battery support (16S 51V LFP diy battery). Only inverters with high volt batteries in the 200 to 400 volt range which I can not build a battery for.

Therefore thanks, but I will stay with Growatt and find a solution