[Guide]Millheat hardware modification, making it open source

Here is my code: https://github.com/JDolven/Replacing-HF_LPT120A-in-a-millheat-heater/

I think your repo is set to private, try to access the link yourself in incognito mode.

[Edit] Works now:)

1 Like

I had some spare time spare time now and made it work with ESPhome. Check my git for the code :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good work! I will try it out when I have time:)

1 Like

Testing it now, but ran into some problems.
How did you connect the uart? Gpio1 to rx or tx?
Did you remove the mill mcu in order to get it working?

You should be able to see logging via the esphome UI, unless wifi is not coming up on the esp.

If wifi is not up, then you can connect via the same pins you used to do the initial flashing.

I see the logging in the esphome UI.
Just wanted to hear how he connected the esp8266 to the mill heater circuit, and if he removed the mill mcu that is present on the circuit.
This so I didn’t do unnecessary things to troubleshoot and get it working.

I think this is all covered in the first post.

Do you see who wrote the first post?
@JDolven had made some new code that is doing something different than I wrote initially, and regarding that, I am asking how he connected the wires.
But thanks for trying to help out!

My apologies, I read things properly now. Forget my posts.

/me = idiot

No worries, as I said, thanks for trying to help! There is a huge need for people that try to help:)

(If you want you can delete your post and I can delete my replies)

I removed the HF_LPT120A. The pcb was labeled so I just connected my wemos D1 mini. GND, power, rx and tx. You may have the change gpio according to the esp your using. .

Ok, thanks, but did you connect TX (GPIO1) on the wemos D1 mini to RX on the mill?
(I have a different oven so I don’t see the same as on your picture)

Yeah, tx (gpio1) and rx(gpio3). Its a two way communication. If you change the temperature local it will change in HA.

Thank you for a clearer picture, but I am talking about the other side. What pin on the mill-pcb is tx(gpio1 on d1 mini) connected to?

The pcb was labeled so i just connected according to the labelling. I did verify with the manual for the HF-LPT120 to check if the labelling was correct. Is there a diffrent chip in your heater?

Edit: I saw you picture and its a different wifi controller but it should be possible to identify and find the manual to verify pins

Thanks for the picture.

Yes I have a different chip, but it is labeled. Just wanted to check how you connected it.

I have now tested with the mill mcu removed, but it won’t work as it does for you. Maybe the chip on the display/controller board is different. (Or the firmware could be different so the data being sent is different)
This is a picture of mine:

I have a different chip ;(

Ok, too bad.Then I would have to figure out what kind of data is being sent if I want to do what you did.
But that has to be another time.

Thanks for sharing! Could be useful for others with the same oven that you have:)

My heater is generation 2 (SKAI). Is yours gen 1?
Serialnumber should start with SKAG for gen 1 and SKAH/SKAI/SKAJ for gen2.