HA and Mental Health

Thanks blubbel42.

My biggest suggestion is “solve each issue” and not look for them if that makes sense. as an example, we used to leave the stove on so a movement detector, current monitor and an announcement. If no one moves in the kitchen for 30 mins yet the switchboard has current flow via the stove CB we have an issue.

We detect the washing machine running then when it stops it announces the washing is finished every 15 mins until switched off.

Hows that. I will see if I can find some more…

Yeah, things like that… we are utilising a telegram Bot here. A Washing machine reminder is something I’m working at. We also use reminders to tell if windows have been left open and the temperature on the outside drops or rises to an undesired value. So the house tells us about it and we can close the them, even if we totally forgot they were open in the first place.
What also proofed useful were plantsensors, these lowered the kill-count significantly, and therefor the griefing about having failed once again.

Just these “easy day-to-day thingies” are the things i love home-assistant for. Managing life without being overwhelmed, distracted or always half-done.

Since this thread is 5 years old, I’m really curious to hear how your project has evolved over time. Home automation and mental health awareness have both come a long way in the last half-decade, and I can only imagine the improvements and refinements you’ve been able to implement.
Given the advances in technology and increased awareness about various mental health conditions, like Borderline Personality Disorder and its concept of a ‘Favorite Person,’ which you can learn more about, it would be fantastic to see how these insights could be integrated into home automation projects for mental health.

1 Like

I’ve been reading this topic with a lot of interest. Thanks for sharing @Secs

I think it’s amazing you are doing this to help out your partner :+1:t3:

We still have most of the original stuff and announcements are what sort of is being added. The children personalities wanted some chooks so we have a chook house with automated (node-red) doors and water barrel monitoring so that if we change personalities during the day they dont forget the chooks are out. Each morning they tell Alexa they are getting up so the system waits a couple of minutes then announces a medication reminder. It also tells them if the water barrel is above half way (its 200 litres) and the weather forecast. She has a garden patch at the community gardens at the other end of town and we use a Lorawan module to send back moisture content so this level is also included in the morning message. To make the messages a bit more interesting I get Open Ai GPT to create say 30 at a time of the various messages. Like I have 30 in the format of Star Trek (a few of the personalities like Star Trek) a couple of examples “Anita, as the Millennium Falcon cruises through the stars, remember to rev up your health with medication. Warp speed to wellness!”
“Anita, let your health soar like an X-Wing fighter and your medication be the hyperdrive that propels you towards optimal well-being.”

So the system randomly selects a different one each day. We have them for chook doors etc. We monitor the moisture level of all the gardens and automate sprinklers taking into account predicted rain etc. For me I have lightning monitors that disconnect my Ham radio antennas and make announcements of strikes getting closer and as of last night I have my monitors being turned off when I am not there of in bed to save electricity.

Generally its an ongoing process. We find an issue and we see what we can do to help.

1 Like