HA app- phone never leaves home

I installed HA companion app on my Android Samsung G7, and set access to my domain and port 8123. I forwarded that port internally. I have location turned on in my phone. The app is working both at and away from home. I can call services, run automations, etc. The device page for the phone correctly shows battery level and other stats, but it never shows the phone as Away, even when I’m miles from home. The map oh HA shows the correct location of my home, but the phone is never away. What have I missed? Thanks for any help.

1 Like

I had this happen recently, with two phones in my household. I found that the location sensors were disabled. I have no idea when/how that happened. They were both tracking fine but at some point they stopped. Have you checked this already? Companion App Settings > Manage Sensors > Location Sensors.

If the device had location turned off for whatever reason and the app tried to get location then it will disable location sensors.

1 Like

I see no settings on the android app so I’m guessing you mean on the home HA. But I find no companion app settings there either, just a device entry for the phone. Nor do I find any reference to location in the sensor list.

I am running 2022.5.5 in a docker container, and I have settings, not configuration on the home page. Where would the companion app settings be?

from your phone, open up HA go to Configuration > Companion App and you will see all the various app settings.

Edit: its also mentioned as part of the steps in the link I had posted.

1 Like

Ahhh, jeez, Settings>Companion app is not on the home instance of HA, but on the phone. Makes sense, I guess. Resetting location sensors there fixed things. Thanks again to all who helped.