HA corrupted another SD card

@Mutt
I mean the official manual from the main website:

Because to be honest none of the newbies search the whole forum for possible issues (it’s just not realistic). Some (me included) are at least reading the official requirements and instructions.
There is e.g. a warning to use an appropriate power supply, which I followed and bought one instead of using just an USB cable (which I initially intended to use). But there is no warning about possible(!) SD card failures where I could dig a little deeper and try to find a possible workaround or solution before having a ‘bloody nose’ which is the point here.
(Btw. I have my snapshots so it’s not a discussion about a missing backup either.)

Finally it’s even not about the money for a new card, but the time I need to spend (at an inopportune time) to make HA run again.

Yes, I have another 64GB Samsung SD card here (nearly unused). I think, I’ll try the suggestions with this one.

There is only one thing I’m not sure about (maybe @seidler can help here, too): how to create a 16GB partition for HA? I mean while setting up all the partitions are created automatically or should I just change the main one after the setup process is finished?

2 Likes

I have found that this solution for rpi has suited me best.

STICKY: HOWTO: Move the filesystem to a USB stick/Drive

ps YMMV

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with the HA install process as I run HA differently. But what you can always do is that after the install in finished, shut down the RPi normally (poweroff), put the SD card in a card reader, boot up Gparted Live on another computer and resize (shrink) the biggest partition.

Of course if you have access to another Linux computer you can just do it there. Gnome Disks can do it I believe, or just install gparted to do it.

2 Likes

Very nice:) thanks
Would be nice if after 5 days these logs are moved to samba storage and can be checked from history on demand…

1 Like

Hi, I already read your post and agree on that.
I reduced the rcorder to the entities, which are absolute useful and reduced my db to a maximum of 160MB. The usage of my disk is not higher than 12%
But my swap increases always to around 30% which is a little bit high.
The memory is utilized by 56%
I’m running HA on a standard raspb3+ with a good Sandisk - no issues since 1,5 years.
How can I influence the swap size?

Which method of installation should I use to have possibility to partition SD manualy?
Balena Etcher with image from github doing all partitioning automaticaly