HA for Automation in a School?

Of note, when looking for for HA compatible zigbee devices, not everything that’s zibgee actually calls itself zigbee. Sometimes they use a brandname like Hue, or they say that they’re “compatible with Hue”. Most of my Zigbee lighting said that it was ZLL 3. Which is a whole other thing to get into.

Apologies for my delay in replying. It’s been super busy and I’m the only IT person for the whole school. This had to take a bit of a back seat to some other issues.

I’m looking at several uses. The first one is most likely as a way of controlling various consumer TVs which we have Xibo digital signage hooked up to. Those consumer screens do not reliably turn on/off when scheduled, set default inputs etc. We have a couple of Android TV/Google TV based screens as well which I’d like to be able to schedule, but also monitor so that when idle for 5 mins it can launch the Xibo android client. (really Xibo would do well to enable ambient/screensaver mode for their app)

The next is most likely some power-saving things such as being able to turn off all the instant hot water/chiller units at a certain time each day, but vary it based on pulling of calendar data so if the building is being used after hours it stays on until later. (Shelly 3EM Pro in each building has given me a total use of between 7 and 13MWh each month and a lot of that is when nobody is here) A good example is just this last weekend, as the first weekend of the school holidays, nobody was on site at all and we used 176kWh, only 64kWh of that was in the building with the server room)

After that, I’d want to look at HVAC + room presence. The presence could use a combination of mmWave in some areas, and CCTV passed to Frigate for others.

Reason I’m heading down this path is primarily to save money… that we simply do not have the funds to be able to do a normal building management system. We have existing CCTV, and as I mentioned before, Shelly 3EM Pro power monitoring. Nothing else smart at this stage.