HA Is Crashing Once A Week - Help!

Hi there.

I started my HA journey a few months ago, and I am still getting intermittent crashes on my Raspberry Pi4. Perhaps once every 5-7 days I get a “soft crash”.

Basically by “soft crash” I mean, what will happen, is that automations still work - I can still turn things off and on etc, but when I try go into any other screen, or reset HA via the software, I get errors. It’ll say YAML Configuration not found, if I can even get to that screen.

I’ve bought a powered USB hub to power my SSD, I’ve also got the official USB-C 5.1V 15.3W (White) power supply for the RPI4. So I feel like I’ve boxed off any power supply issues.

What else can it be? I look in the /config/home-assistant.log.1 and there doesn’t look to be any significant errors coming up. Is there anything I can do to try find out what’s happening?

Quite frustrated :pensive:

The normal issues with RPi’s (as you no doubt know) are power supplies and SD Cards. Both of which you seem to have covered. My guess would be something to do with the SSD. How old is it? Is there enough free space? Often they can fill up with backups.

Thanks for the reply!

I have a 500GB SSD which is really quite new. A samsung m2 in an enclosure

Seems to have 430GB left according to the sensor.

Probably not the SSD then. It might be the powered hub though, have you tried just running the SSD from the pi USB’s?

Yes, unfortunately I was getting crashes then as well - which is why I got the powered USB hub in the first place.

We did discuss this before in a different thread. What came of all of that? Did you get an SSD? How much memory do you have on the RPI again?

That was with a different person though.

Can you get some screenshots?

Sorry. However, hope the post I put there was helpful. If it tells you files are missing that were there before then you have unreliable storage. You need to just be done with your unreliable storage and get a decent SSD. I use a Samsung T7 (even comes with the correct cable for the PI), works like a charm.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure we’ve ever talked.

I’ve got a 500GB Samsung Evo m2. I would’ve thought this is just fine?

Next time this crashes I’ll get screenshots :slight_smile: