HA-meural: custom integration for Netgear Meural Canvas digital art frames

HA-meural has hit v1.0.0 and can be installed from HACS! The most important change is that the integration will now re-authenticate automatically when the auth token expires. In previous versions of HA-meural your Canvas would become unavailable when this happens, and the only way to resolve it would be to delete and reinstall the integration. As you can imagine, this was very annoying for every user :slight_smile: Many thanks to Harshit Sanghvi!

Updating to v1.0.0 does require you to delete and reinstall the integration once, so the correct new configuration entries can be setup.

Thank you @GuySie for the integration!

I’m a newbie and are trying to control the status on/off state of the frame but with no luck.
There are no actions visible of the device object if I try to create an automation.
Pushing the on/off switch of the card works ok so the integration is obviously up and running.

Any hints on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

Hi, and thanks! The Meural is set up as a media player, and will respond to the usual service calls for a media player. So using service calls media_player.turn_on or media_player.turn_off on the Meural entity should work:

Thx, its working.
For a newbie the object model isn’t obvious when you could switch things on and off and when you need a service to perform the action.
Anyway you always learn something.

/p

Thanks for this integration.

I’m wondering if it’s possible (with just a few lines of code) to display a snapshot from my video-doorbell to the meural, AND displaying the image very quickly (less than 2 or 3 seconds or so ?)

In my automation, I have this in the action part. Sending the Telegram works (I get to see the picture in Telegram. But the Meural doesn’t do anything.
Note: Yes, my Meural is called ‘Mural’ :slight_smile:

action:
      - service: camera.snapshot
        data:
          filename: /config/www/camshots/voordeur.jpg
        target:
          entity_id: camera.reolink_deurbel_main
      - service: telegram_bot.send_photo
        data:
          file: /config/www/camshots/voordeur.jpg
          caption: Persoon
      - service: meural.preview_image
        data:
          entity_id: media_player.mural
          content_type: image/jpg
          content_url: /config/www/camshots/voordeur.jpg

Oh, to be honest, that’s mostly me being more used to Node-RED talking. Everything is a service call there so that’s how I talk about it. In the automation editor, you should be able to pick the domain ‘media player’ and ‘turn on’ and ‘turn off’ directly, and just pick the right entity. Great that it works!

I know some users of the integration are doing this exact thing with their Meural, so it should work. I don’t personally have a video doorbell so I have never tried it, and I don’t really know why it wouldn’t work.

What you could try - does it work if you use a full path instead of the relative one? e.g.:
content_url: http://homeassistant.local:8123/local/camshots/voordeur.jpg
instead of
content_url: /config/www/camshots/voordeur.jpg

I have a nabu casa account, using my own domain. I can create a working url displaying the image in a browser that has never visited that domain (*)

But when using this url in content_url: I get no image on the Meural.
Is there anything that needs to be set in the settings of the Meural?

(*) Does this mean that the folder /config/www/… is publicly available (so without authentication) ?