HA not keeping track of Zwave status?

I have a group of about 20 lights that get turned off when I go to sleep. I noticed that HA doesn’t seem to keep track of the fact that these lights are off. They turn off correctly, but the UI still has them as on. If I wait long enough, their state change gets picked up by a poll.

To turn them off, I have them in a group and I’m using the homeassistant.turn_off service to turn the group off. But I also tried doing the same with a scene and noticed the same effect. I’m running 30.2

Could it be that I’m overtaxing my Raspberry Pi 3?

I see the same. The problem get’s worse when the zwave devices are controlled via Vera but similar issue when connected directly to open zwave/hass (but less delay). I posted about that in the past but never got a reply.

I do have a Vera connected and I do have some lights in that grouping that are on it, but the ones that are showing stale status all seem to be connected directly to HA via open zwave.

There are 2 Hue bulbs in the group, but their status updates fine.

Slightly worried about this as I have most lights/switches (+20) still in Vera and moved my sensors almost all to HASS but also have about 8 switches on Hass. I was planning to move my other vera switches also but if this then creates a botlleneck for HASS… mhh

Some ZWave switches are bad about reporting their state back to the ZWave controller in a timely fashion - that is IMO a more likely cause than an overloaded PI.

But if HA is turning the switch/light off, shouldn’t it immediately be aware of the change?

We’d have to check the code to be sure - for some types of switches the component code will re-query the device after it has been switched - for some ZWave devices that results in incorrect state being reflected in the UI, although that is usually associated with turning the device on or off manually rather than via HA - e.g. with some kinds of Linear Dimmer.

What @aimc mentions is correct. There are some zwave switches/dimmers that do not have instant reports. However my other hub sees the change immediate. Furthermore I only have this when I switch large amounts of switches at the same time (eg going to sleep/away).

Hmm. That looks like it might be the case. I tried playing around with turning groups on and off via the UI and sometimes see the same behavior. The UI will reflect that the light is off for a moment, then reverse itself, then wait for the polling to complete before finally displaying the light as off.

The light does immediately turn off - it just takes HA a bit before it catches up.