HA on Intel NUC - which way?

Followed the guide you posted @kanga_who and it worked perfectly. Transferred over Hass.io backup from my raspberry pi and everything worked without any modification. Even my zigbee devices came up with no issues.

Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to hear it helped you out.

Hi, Iā€™m new to home assistance, till now I have used openHab, I worked with OpenHABian on RPI3, I want to install Home assistance over i3 NUC, is there a similar installation?
what are my options?

Many optionsā€¦

ā€¦but a nice way to get it to work perfectly is to follow the instructions created by @kanga_who saved here.

2 Likes

In addition to the guide above, Iā€™ve created a guide that covers installing Home Assistant on Ubuntu Server LTS using snap and the generic host guide. Iā€™ve added all the best practices Iā€™ve come across and included steps to store the add-ons and backups onto secondary storage (to help prevent drive failures).

I recently build HA Server using Intel NUC 7 CJYH, with 4GB RAM and 120GB SSD.

I installed Proxmox VE on top of the NUC.
Then install Hassio LXC container using the following script from whiskerz007:

https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassio_lxc

I had issues with LXC container canā€™t connect to internet to do some update as part of the script, I fix it by put a comment (#) on the following line in the create_container.sh script:

pct exec $CTID /setup.sh
to
#pct exec $CTID /setup.sh

So that the script will create the container but not immediately run setup which need internet connection.
Once the container created I fix the eth0 config from Proxmox GUI, assign a fix IP that match my network, and remove the preconfigure mac address (so that a new mac address automatically generated).

Once that done, run the commented comment from proxmox host shell as root:

root@pve:~# pct exec 100 /setup.sh

Note that 100 is my lxc container id in proxmox, this works for me.

With proxmox, it is very easy to bakcup and move the hassio LXC container to other machine.
So everytime I managed to get something done properly on the HASS configuration, I run vzdump from proxmox web GUI to backup the whole lxc container.

@denver, @coyote, @darxtar , would you mind sharing your setup? Iā€™ve been on hassbian on a RPi 3B for as long as I can remember until the SD died and I didnā€™t have a backup image. So everything is sort of broke now with an old image restored.

Now looking at NUC [Proxmox + VM(Ubuntu + Hass.io docker) + VM(Ubuntu + Plex) + VM(any Linux OS to tinker with development)]

Iā€™m very new to virtualization, only managed them never install or setup. What I donā€™t understand is from what I gathered, Proxmox needs 2-3 drives to run (Proxmox on one, VMs in one, ISOs in one). How did you do it on the NUC? Would like to know before dropping money on parts.

I have a raid 1 Synology NAS as file storage. Would like to backup everything so if it breaks I can restore the image instead of rebuilding and reconfigure. Also if I need to move machines, I can just move the VM.

Any help would be much appreciated.