HA on NUC (powerful) and Sonoff 3.0 Dongle + running slow and/or intermittent

:man_facepalming:t2:

Built my system today, HAOS, monster NUC , Sonoff 3.0 USB Dongle.

Everything was great until the last two devices (#28 and #29)…system slowed down, started to run intermittently. I restarted HA, restarted the NUC, mistakenly deleted the Sonoff (rebuilt it) but same problem. Comes and goes.

Disconnected nearby AP, same problem.

Appreciate any help, went of ST because it was a yo yo…:japanese_ogre:

Thanks

First, welcome to the group. You are likely to get some answers here, but probably not from me. I am an expert at nothing.

What Zigbee add-on are you using? ZHA or Zigbee2MQTT?
“started to run intermittently” is quite vague. Does the log show any problems?

There are people here running more than 50 Zigbee devices with no issue. I am not one of them. I have two Zigbee lights and two Zigbee door switches. “started to run intermittently” describes my Zigbee experience pretty well.

So, look at the add-on log to see if there’s some feedback there.

Thanks!

Just learning.

Dongle out of the box, so I believe ZHA.

Trying to find where logs stored to attach!

Intermittent in this case means at one time, everything runs instantly, and another time they were delays of 1-5 minutes before a device response. If I try to do it manually, I’ll push the switch, it’ll move, and then bounce back, and nothing will happen.

Looking for logs.

Apologies if I missed how to do this properly…if so please let me know!

Logs:

Study - Zigbee Outlets On: Already running

11:17:16 PM – (WARNING) Automation - message first occurred at 9:46:16 PM and shows up 21 times

Update of sensor.samjin_outlet_active_power_10 is taking over 10 seconds

11:15:35 PM – (WARNING) helpers/entity.py - message first occurred at 9:57:29 PM and shows up 272 times

Updating zha sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:30

11:15:19 PM – (WARNING) Sensor - message first occurred at 9:58:49 PM and shows up 33 times

Study- Zigbee off outlets: Already running

11:02:32 PM – (WARNING) Automation - message first occurred at 9:46:14 PM and shows up 6 times

NCP entered failed state. Requesting APP controller restart

10:57:48 PM – (ERROR) runner.py - message first occurred at 9:59:20 PM and shows up 3 times

[0xF936:1:0x0b04]: async_initialize: all attempts have failed: [DeliveryError(‘Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>’), DeliveryError(‘Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>’), DeliveryError(‘Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>’), DeliveryError(‘Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>’)]

10:56:25 PM – (WARNING) Zigbee Home Automation - message first occurred at 9:39:26 PM and shows up 35 times

number.innr_sp_224_on_level: Could not set value: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>

10:54:56 PM – (ERROR) Zigbee Home Automation

:0:0 Script error.

10:54:52 PM – (ERROR) components/system_log/init.py - message first occurred at 9:40:21 PM and shows up 16 times

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved

10:54:48 PM – (ERROR) /usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/runner.py - message first occurred at 9:56:55 PM and shows up 27 times

Unknown device AddrModeAddress(addr_mode=<AddrMode.NWK: 2>, address=0x0D97)

10:54:21 PM – (WARNING) runner.py - message first occurred at 9:39:55 PM and shows up 120 times

NWK conflict is reported for 0x9ab1

10:43:45 PM – (WARNING) runner.py - message first occurred at 10:43:45 PM and shows up 2 times

Update for sensor.samjin_outlet_active_power_15 fails

10:28:28 PM – (ERROR) components/zha/core/channels/base.py - message first occurred at 10:28:28 PM and shows up 2 times

Error executing service: <ServiceCall switch.turn_on (c:01GT8EJPNAEX9AAPVK8D6CCKDF): entity_id=[‘switch.samjin_outlet_switch_4’]>

10:28:28 PM – (ERROR) components/zha/core/channels/base.py

[0x7FCC:1:0x0b04] Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/init.py”, line 358, in reply return await self._endpoint.reply( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py”, line 256, in reply return await self.device.reply( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py”, line 384, in reply return await self.request( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py”, line 297, in request await self._application.request( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py”, line 690, in request await self.send_packet( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 744, in send_packet status, _ = await self._ezsp.sendUnicast( AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘sendUnicast’

10:28:28 PM – (ERROR) runner.py - message first occurred at 10:28:28 PM and shows up 33 times

[0xa8b3:zdo] Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py”, line 384, in reply return await self.request( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py”, line 297, in request await self._application.request( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py”, line 690, in request await self.send_packet( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 744, in send_packet status, _ = await self._ezsp.sendUnicast( AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘sendUnicast’

10:28:28 PM – (ERROR) runner.py - message first occurred at 10:28:28 PM and shows up 3 times

ControllerApplication reset unsuccessful: TimeoutError()

10:28:22 PM – (WARNING) /usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py

Failed to determine cast type for host (<urlopen error EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:997)>) (services:{ServiceInfo(type=‘mdns’, data=‘BRAVIA-4K-UR2-201dbd8b02e9d2fe253feb309fd965a6._googlecast._tcp.local.’)})

9:39:27 PM – (WARNING) components/cast/helpers.py - message first occurred at 9:39:26 PM and shows up 2 times

CRC error in frame b’eb5e257e’ (b’5e25’ != b’adb5’)

9:39:16 PM – (ERROR) /usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/uart.py

First, thanks in advance.

This might be helpful, pushed a light switch three times to turn on, these were the errors:

Updating zha sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:30

11:22:49 PM – (WARNING) Sensor - message first occurred at 9:58:49 PM and shows up 37 times

Update of sensor.samjin_outlet_active_power_7 is taking over 10 seconds

11:22:42 PM – (WARNING) helpers/entity.py - message first occurred at 9:57:29 PM and shows up 313 times

Study - Zigbee Outlets On: Already running

11:21:56 PM – (WARNING) Automation - message first occurred at 9:46:16 PM and shows up 23 times

Received relays from an unknown device: 0xf936

11:21:12 PM – (WARNING) runner.py - message first occurred at 9:39:55 PM and shows up 125 times

Please post code and log files using the <> code tag. It keeps the formatting in the case of code and makes the post a bit more compact in the case of log files.

Is the dongle plugged directly into the NUC?
Do you have WiFi in your NUC (whether on or off).

Zigbee is very sensitive to 2.4GHz interference as the Zigbee protocol encourages low power for battery life. This means that a Zigbee device transmits lower power than a WiFi device. This is why when there is a temporal conflict, Zigbee looses.

Also usb3 interferes.

Plug the zigbee usb device into a usb2 slot via a usb extension cable and place it well away from the nuc.

1 Like

Thank you.

Will post as you suggested.

Dongle is plugged directly into the NUC. Wifi is in the NUC, turned off.

Will order an extension cable as suggested.

Strange it worked then poof!

Thank you both.

I recently became aware that the data in USB3 protocol runs at about 2.5GHz.
Here is a white paper from Intel that explains it.

From the paper:
"The broadband noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR and limit the sensitivity of any wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link."

1 Like

Thank you!

If the recommendations by @nickrout help, we would appreciate feedback.

Have a read here Compatibiity zigbee home automation profile - #3 by Hedda

Gents, will advise. Can’t test till Friday.

Thank you. Was the problem. Sonoff moved about 4 feet away and working perfectly.

1 Like