HA OS on unRaid!

Hi,

I just updated unraid to 6.9 and now my HASSIO VM is not working properly. When it is on GUI is not available while I still can connect via prompt.

I’m the only one facing it?

So I just updated to 6.9 stable and my HassIO VM refuses to start-up due to a missing USB, all other VM’s are working fine. I believe I know what the problem is:

• I had a Aeotec Z-Wave USB stick plugged in to test Z-Wave JS, and later removed the integration and the add-on from HassIO.
  • Returned the USB stick back to Amazon
  • Restarted HassIO many times after that
  • But NEVER rebooted the VM

Now it looks like the VM is looking for that USB to restart but I don’t have it. So does anyone know if there is any way to restart the VM without having to recreate the VM and restore from a saved snapshot?

I had same issue with a different USB stick (BT). I tried to also readd and remove it but after the update the issue persist.

I “solved” downgrading to 6.8.3 but of course this is not a solution.

In your case do you noticed also CPU to 100% and ui not reachable (while ssh was available)?

No I solved my issue by editing the xml file. Solution here. Hass OS on Unraid VM won't start

1 Like

In your case hostdev was already in XML when running 6.8.3? Because I downgraded now and looking at my xml I don’t have it.

I managed to rehave the VM but now my CPU is constantly at 100%.

Anyone has the same issue?

Did you expand the image?

Uhm no. I just rebuild the VM using the same vdisk as before. Looking at VM setting phisical disk is 38g. Should be still enough right?

Yes thats enough

I tryed also to start from scratch again downloading new image. I noticed when i try to resize this with qemu-img resize nothing really happens.

There’s any alternative command?

Did you start the VM and check it? You probably have over 32GB allocated now, as they are 32GB by default.

If you hover over the “used space” bar on the host card at the supervisor > system page you’ll see total space.

1 Like

Yes now image is a bit larger than before!

I upgraded to 6.9 and largely had no problems. I previously had passed a USB card to my HASSOS VM, I think this helps to prevent a lot of issues as the VM doesn’t have to “fight” anything for control of the USB.

1 Like

Still have performance issue with my VM in 6.9.1. Can someone please share settings of the VM just to double check?

I have HA installed in a VM and it’s now in a weird state, no idea what happened. It’s been running for months without issue. When I realized none of my automations were running today, including my HVAC temp schedules, I discovered the VM was turned off (i didn’t stop it) and when i restarted, I’m on this screen:

Quick google search yieled some reports of same issue due to bad update and related to boot order: System update fail

However, typing exit and getting into the “Boot order” menu, shows my HD in the top slot so I don’t think this the issue:

@tmchow
I have been encountering this issue either randomly or when I moved a vdisk for some time. This problem is usually not just related to hass on unraid but all vms. .

So far the only reliable fix for it that I have found is to create a new vm in the GUI with the same specs and add the existing hass vdisk to it.
This is fine for my hass vm but impacts my windows vm licenses.

I have also had some success with backup and restoring of the nvram but not enough to provide a reliable guide.

1 Like

Which method did you use for your VM did you create a Linux VM and then run HASSOS on top of it?, if you went with the QCOW2 route when I get home from work I will post settings that have been rock solid for me since I created it close to a year ago

1 Like

Yes I created a Linux vm using qcow2 for the image.

It WAS stable for me as well till the update to 6.9.1.

Yes please if you can share with me your setting I will double check mine.

Thank you

@tmchow

Yes, I’ve come across this as well once or twice. As @tinglis1 describes, creating a new VM and using the previously used vdisk worked for me in that situation. Also not limited to Linux VMs in my case.