HA OS on unRaid!

Yeah, just pretend it is a typical pi install. You can still install the usual addons: Samba, IDE, or Configurator addons for accessing files, one of the two ssh addons for accessing the custom hassio cli, etc.

There are going to be differences, obviously. Adding USB peripherals is going to be more of a puzzle. Access to the host OS can be done more easily (VNC connection through the unRaid UI).

has anyone had issue with unraid 6.6.1? the VM starts but goes to a post screen

Iā€™ve been having that issue for a while since before 6.6.0. Everyone once in a while, something happens and I end up at a UEFI interactive boot menu and canā€™t recover the VM. Iā€™ve probably recreated the VM 50 times now. So far it only happens when Iā€™m passing through a USB device. I have a separate instance running without z-wave/usb and it hasnā€™t had the problem.

Are you passing through any USB devices?

Welp, it took a little longer but even without having zwave/usb devices passed through, the VM on 2.2 crashed out to the boot loader this morning: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph6ngfj1utoh8hf/Screenshot%202018-10-04%2012.15.32.png?dl=0

I have homeassistant running in the docker, but wanted to check out hassio because of its features. I was going to go the raspi route. I found this thread yesterday, and this morning I set it up. So far its working, have to start adding my automatons and IFTTT stuff and then I can start exploring all the options available to me. Thanks for writing this up.

Any way to change the ip address? I want to migrate over from an ubuntu vm that is starting to cause problems but was thinking that I should eventually change the ip of the new instance to that of the old one.

You should be able to using nmcli. The instructions are here: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/network.md#using-nmcli-to-set-a-static-ipv4-address

1 Like

This ROCKS!!! thanks @cogneato

Set it to Br0 and you can set ip via dhcp reservation or static

Hi total newbie here, Iā€™m trying this method to install Hass.io on my Unraid server, Iā€™d like to test it before switching to a raspberry solution, so that I wonā€™t have to keep my Unraid on 24/7.
Installation went smoothly, but I have an odd problem. I can access the web interface, but if I try to open the hassio tab it just does nothing.
I found out that as soon as I connect to my openvpn server (running on unraid as well) the Hass.io tab loads immediately. I can also open it from another VM running on Unraid. It seems like it can only accept requests coming from the Unraid IP.
Itā€™s strange that the rest of the interface works.
Looks like some route is missing but Iā€™m far from a docker expert so I wasnā€™t able to fix it.
Any help to solve this problem? Thanks!

Not sure what is going on there. Are you using any nginx or something similar anywhere?

No Iā€™m not running anything like that, I also tried disabling the other Dockers Iā€™m running on Unraid but no difference

@azaka

Isnā€™t this your bios setting in the VM??

It is, however, the VM was never recoverable once it entered that state. I donā€™t know if that issue was a problem with unraid or with hassOS, but I switched to 1.13 right around the same time that unraid 6.6.3 came out (which had some improvements to the VM manager) and I havenā€™t had the issue since (now on unraid 6.6.6).

Itā€™s lasted through several unraid software updates, a couple of reboots to add new a new drive and replace a failed one. Every once in a while, the file system gets stuck in read-only and I have to reboot the VM, but it has persisted through those as well.

Hey All,

I followed SpaceInvaderOnes video for setting up reverse proxy & also Travisā€™ video for HA as a docker. I donā€™t use HA Cloud but I do use Alexa integration so need to make sure reverse proxy is working to forward the port to 443. But I canā€™t seem to get to home assistant unless the network is configured as Bridge or Host. Iā€™m currently using a proxy next work (along with lots of other containers).

I did post a photo on the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1479888395479030&set=p.1479888395479030&type=3&ifg=1

hello everyone. i just successfully installed hassos on unraid, with a static ip address. but sadly i cant get the samba add on working. i already opened a discussion about it, but maybe its better to ask it here: Static ip Hassos and Unraid if not, let me know. any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hass.io on unRaid is awesome! All my Add-ons work perfectly: Configurator, Duck DNS, Mosquitto broker, and Node-RED.

My only question is scheduling backups for my VM. Iā€™m getting the error: ā€œHass.io is not a vdiskā€ when I use this script

Is there a better way to schedule backups? Or should I somehow try to convert to a vdisk? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Richard

Iā€™ve never used that but you probably want to point it to what appears in your VM config at ā€œPrimary vDisk Location:ā€

Mine is /mnt/user/domains/hassos_ova.qcow2 for example. I donā€™t know if that script wants the full path or only the file name.

The script only wants a list of VMs to back up. It finds vdisks on its own.

Ah, I see.

Snapshots from within Hassio are still a good a way to back up. Itā€™s easy enough to throw up a new VM in unraid and snapshots are going to contain all of what you want anyway. https://gist.github.com/cogneato/24d5a1a0daddec9d048048201170df8b