HA OS on unRaid!

Does the BLE adapter show up in the logs when plugged in to the box?

sorry guysā€¦ for some reason the hassio supervisor container stopped working and i got sick of pulling my hair out. I might just run the normal home assistant container and forget hass.io or maybe the VM on image

Yes, I see that itā€™s recognized by the unraid host.

Can someone please tell me how to get USB Bluetooth LE dongle to work with this VM? My Z-Wave USB stick is working fine. Iā€™ve got 2 USB Bluetooth sticks that I tried and was not able them to work. I tried regular USB device connection to VM and also passing thru whole USB controller. But without success.

I can see USB dongle fine in SSH:
[ 2.026897] usb 5-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0a5c, idProduct=21e8, bcdDevice= 1.12
[ 2.029086] usb 5-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2.030124] usb 5-2: Product: BCM920702 Bluetooth 4.0
[ 2.031066] usb 5-2: Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
[ 2.031872] usb 5-2: SerialNumber: 5CF37093B338

But in hassio log I can see this:
Sun Oct 27 2019 12:27:06 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

No Bluetooth LE devices to track!

I tried to follow this documentation - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/bluetooth_le_tracker/#rootless-setup but I couldnā€™t make the rootless setup to work.

Running Hassioā€™s environment within UnRaidā€™s is not at all a way to run Hassio, is the main point. A VM is much more stable. Iā€™ve been running one for about 2 years. But running one docker environment within the other docker environment is a mess.

2 Likes

Iā€™m running it in VM. Isnā€™t this a thread how to run it as VM?

@pawelczernicki, @cogneato Was replying to @stripeyhorse, not yourself.

As for your problem Iā€™m unable to answer Iā€™m afraid. But I have been looking at setting up a bluetooth ā€˜hubā€™ for things like MiFloraā€¦

Or somewhere there is a case for using USB over IP.

Neither might help, but you have the information to look at anyway :wink:

So passing though USB devices to the VM. Can this be done on just a USB device level, or does one need to pass through the whole controller (this motherboard only has one).

OK ill buy an pci usb3 card and check.

You can pass through an individual usb device without passing through the whole controller. Just select it from the list in the vm config.
I pass through a conbee that way right now.

OK iā€™ll check it out. Seems like people are having limited luck.

One thing to watch out for when passing through usb devices is the device name might not be the same as if it were a bare metal machine.

I have passed through dozens of different devices on my two unraid machines over the years and have not had any issues that couldnā€™t be solved easily with a few tweaks. One machine is a super micro server and the other is a dell SFF desktop.
This doesnā€™t mean everything will work for everybody but my experience has been pretty good.

If you have issues I suggest you create a post on the unraid forums. They are helpful and active there and can try help solve your issue.

OK, well i am just trying to pass through the Wyze sensor not much else on that machine. I just prefer Hass.io as it makes it easier to add components and such,

I up the size of the VM in unraid but donā€™t know how to get the VM to reallocate the space to use the additional space given?? My VM is full, wonā€™t do a snapshot.

1 Like

Has anyone figured out how to passthrough an Unraid Share to Hassio using the Unraid VM Mount tag? Iā€™ve tried:

mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio unraid /config/Unraid

Where ā€˜unraidā€™ is my Mount tag in the VM settings but I get ā€œmount: mounting unraid on /config/Unraid failed: No such deviceā€
Also tried modifying fstab with no such luck and tried to mount using Samba and NFS with no such luck either.

Thereā€™s gotta be a way to mount a share so you can access files not in the Hassio VM and save files outside the VM. The main workflow I want to do is save recordings from cameras to an Unraid share since my HA VM is on a smaller cache drive.

2 Likes

So i followed this thread along with the video a couple of months ago ā€¦ Everytrhing is working good on my end execpt i cant make a snapshot ā€¦ its starts and then nothing happens even after a few hours the snapshot never finishesā€¦ the problem is that the disk image keeps growing ā€¦

Any help would be appreciated

Is your database large? If youā€™re using the default then itā€™s the home-assistant_v2.db file in your configuration directory

Arround 500MB ā€¦ i may need to delete it?

Thatā€™s actually not too bad. Do you store camera images or something? Where is the space going?

Yeah i have no idea whats going on ā€¦ I dont have anything out of the ordinary on the VM just the Hassio stuffā€¦ is there a way to check which files are taking up the space ???