HA OS vs Supervised

What stupid answer is that. Why should my opinion have anything to do with my possible future questions?

Because it tells me that youā€™re following the easy path, so that you are likely to ask a question without having taken the effort to help yourself, first.
Obviously, telling me that Iā€™m stupid puts an end to this digression.

Please donā€™t devolve into name calling.

While perusing the rest of this topic I noticed a lot of reference to running other software on a supervised install. I though that was against the conditions laid out in the ADR: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/blob/b85484512dd8f27338c6ae2ff28e9a7cf78abb2f/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md#additional-supported-conditions

• No additional software, outside of the Home Assistant ecosystem, is installed.
1 Like

@tom_l, please note this table. It is the reason why I originally selected Supervised. I am learning but still somewhat new to the game it was an effort but I am now comfortable with maintaining it and am up to speed with how to manage everythingā€¦ BUT!

1. Is the below table accurate?
  2. I want to (A.) run other things on the same piece of hardware (or connect to other machines running those things so everything can be reached with the same functionality as though they were running on the same hardware), but also cannot lose (B.) access to the HACS (Home Assistant Community Store). What would you suggest as the next best step - if we had to move away from Supervised - to be able to have both A and B (I think I had heard suggestions from people that I run HAOS in a VM to be able to run other things on the same hardware if I needed (?) - what are the pros and cons of the various approaches etc.)?

Where is it from?

If itā€™s not an official source like the ADR it could be out of date or inaccurate as it directly contradicts it.

All installation types can run HACS, it is a third pert integration, not an addon.

How do you want to run the other software?

As add-ons, Docker containers or straight up apps on the OS?

I had information I saw from somewhere that I put into a spreadsheet and then colored the items myself to determine which one to choose. I wil stop using it - (or better yet correct it) -

1. So in answer to your question - where can I find a comparison chart that is accurate?
  2. I am not sure what I want to do, I just want to better understand the options available. I have supervised runnng on a RPI 4b w/8Gig of ram without any sd card, running totally off a 1TB ssd. I want to go to the next step and add video but I knoiw the hardware is lacking for that - some people say you can have the video on a different machine (but names have to be more than 10 characters with frigate or something like that), others say itā€™s better integraton if itā€™s on the same machine, I just want to fully understand all of my options - with regards to home assistant itself - before determining which direction to go -

Thanks for your help @tom_l !

There is at least one mistake: you can now take backups from containers as well.

You cannot restore, though, interestingly :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/#compare-installation-methods

1 Like

So I would guess that is 1/2 a thing wrong lol

Well, the actual interesting part is taking the backup.
As there is nothing ā€œaboveā€ HA in Container mode, I donā€™t actually see how HA could restore itself really.
In HAOS, itā€™s one of the ā€œsidecarā€ containers that is doing that.

The backup is easily opened in 7-zip and restored manually, though.
At the end of the day, itā€™s just the ā€œconfigā€ folder, zipped :wink:

:rofl: Try telling that to these folk: Cannot restore from backup

Haha, yeah.

Well, HAOS is supposed to be for computer illiterate people, isnā€™t it, so it should ā€œjust workā„¢ā€ :smiley:

Well everyone tell me not to bother about you and reading this comment really prove them right. And now I did not call you names so you cant run crying to admin

1 Like

Are you stalking me?

Not sure what you have against that comment but fwiw, I didnā€™t bother reporting your insults.
I found it more interesting to leave it for future reference :smiley:

Now, if you would be so kind as to ignore me as much as I ignore you as of nowā€¦

1 Like

Anders, Drop it. He didnā€™t flag your post another member did because what you said was against the COC. Stop attacking him. Move on, now. Last and final warning.

2 Likes

Seems there is a difference in how members are treated. He can pester how many other members he want but nothing happens. But OK I get it. I just leave the community. Can you take away my account

Youā€™re literally calling him an idiot more than once in more than 1 post. That makes you the violator of the COC, not him. You are in the wrong. If you want to continue to argue, Iā€™m more than happy to give you a time out so that you understand.

I wanted to throw in my own 2c here since now Iā€™m considering switching over to OS and found this thread at the top of my research: in short, supervised has some rather strict dependency requirements on the OS itself that itā€™s rather inadvisable to run anything else on it other than HA if possible. Something I was completely unaware of initially since it was the only thing running on my box at the time.

Longer: I had been happily running supervised on my Debian machine for at least a year or two without any issues alongside other applications which were added over time to the box. I one day decided to do an OS upgrade which broke HA. One of the packages that HA depends on got removed from the system which subsequently caused HA supervised to get removed as well (missing this one line among the sea of other changes is mostly on me though). I was able to reinstall the HA supervised package on my system but only after manually reinstalling the removed dependency. After that though, apt would continually fail for any package update due to the broken state of the dependencies, until I had to manually edit HAā€™s dependency list, something Iā€™ve never had to do before.

Iā€™m now reviewing what add-ons I have to justify whether I should keep my current supervised install but am leaning heavily towards running HAOS as a VM or on a dedicated RPI just for some proper isolation.

That is what i did when i found out the limitations of running debian supervised.
My host was powerful enough anyway, so no problem running HA on virtual machine (VMWare in my case, as i have bad experience with Virtual Box)

I you run HAOS on bare metal however, are you not able to run any other applications or daemons on the same hardware? The workaround is to then install haos on a VM?