HA running slow

If you are running node-red… try turning it off.

I do not use it

After struggling for days, I finally found out the main reason for the system slowness. I had to monitor the z-wave log and HA constantly and noticed a huge number of messages coming from 3 newly added Z-Wave devices (5 port power strip) and there were many error messages.

I turned them off first, and the system improved dramatically then I removed them totally from the system. I even moved my setup back to the Pi. Now system is responsive and back to normal speed.

It was a frustrating 1 week lost trying to debug this and all because of badly programmed device that made the system totally unstable.

Hopefully this helps someone else avoid my frustration.

2 Likes

The pi3 want much more than 1 A

For your previous question, if you need a benchmarking data point, my pi3b+ controlling 2 wink hubs with 7 sensors, 5 cameras, 2 locks, 2 thermostats, 6 tracking devices and 3 external feeds, runs at cpu usage between 20-35%

My system have currently 25 z-wave device (sensors, siren, gas sensor, water leakage, power outlets, lights), 5 ZigBee devices (lights, sensors), 3 cameras, several H801, 3 NodMCU & a Sprinkler system. My current 15 min load is less than 35%. So far I can say the PI is more than capable to handle much more load in the system.
This was also before adding the faulty devices.

I finally got mine running at a decent pace. I had to pare down all the logging and history to “opt-in” devices - basically only the ones I cared about tracking over time (still about 100 data points), limited the time span to 3 days and moved the DB to an external drive. I would like to keep a much longer history but so far this has kept the DB to under 100 mb so it’s ok for now.

Just a quick update. I had so many issues with the Pi after I posted the previous message as the system kept on hanging and becoming slow or none responsive in so many times, and after so much going back and forth with the setting and the placement of the PI, I finally managed to nail the main issue. the PI was reaching a high temperature (C 60 +) which affected the performance of the device drastically, and after installing a simple fan on the PI problem solved and since more than a month now the PI runs flawless with so many additional devices that I have added.

hopefully this would help somebody one day.

Edit, fast forward 15 months later, I have stopped using the PI sometime back as the performance is enough for a simple setup. once you expand into multiple integration and many devices you will need to up the game and switched to something much powerful. I am using a dedicated Intel NUC since several months now and never looked back.

2 Likes