HA stops reporting Wink state changes

I just added my comments on its stability.

1 Like

I suggest that your current code be included in this weekendā€™s release. It sounds like it is better than the current production code already, even if issues remain. Also, ā€œtestingā€ becomes much easier.

It appears this will be merged in 0.37. Yay!

@w1ll1am23 - I added this comment to 0.37 as it wasnā€™t mentioned in the release notes:

@fabaff - It should be mentioned in breaking changes that the new Wink support will cause renaming of all the binary sensors and will also create new sensors for devices that werenā€™t previously detected or supported in the older version (quite a few things were added). Users should be aware of this so they arenā€™t surprised to see some of their previously named sensors missing from groups or new sensors showing up.

.io PR has been opened. https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.github.io/pull/1881

If you get a chance check it out and make sure I didnā€™t make any mistakes.

The biggest change is that I added what devices are supported under each device type. I think there are devices people arenā€™t aware they could integrate with Home-assistant if they used Wink to do it so it could help.

1 Like

I know that you fixed the access token so that it refreshes properly but isnā€™t it better to go with client id/secret?

Iā€™m just wondering if the wording ā€œBecause itā€™s difficult to get access to the API etc.ā€ isnā€™t a bit outdated. I got my client id/secret in a few days.

Agreed, already changed it. https://github.com/w1ll1am23/home-assistant.github.io/blob/383b6c0862157cf9ddab3168840eb44d70cb3508/source/_components/wink.markdown

Perfect. And the component card updates are great too; I actually read each one.

I told someone in another thread and over at reddit that some great updates are coming in .37 to Wink and I know they wonā€™t be disappointed. The updates to the docs are the frosting on the cake.

@w1ll1am23 , youā€™ve done an incredible job refactoring the entire Wink support framework and Wink HA users owe you a debt of gratitude. Thank you so much and Iā€™m glad I was of some help in that effort.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve looked forward to a release date this much!

3 Likes

I recently switched to API because somewhere, maybe up at the top of these comments, someone said it had helped them not have this whole, not-updating-the-state issue. (It didnā€™t work.) But the process took two weeks and involved me answering a questionnaire about what my app was and what it did, which made me wonder if they were even going to give it to me since itā€™s not even ā€œmyā€ app. But they did. Point is, though, that it can take time, and some people might be put off by the process, so fixing the token refresh is great, and, if it works, is probably enough for most people. I never would have gotten API access or needed it if not for the problem where I wasnā€™t getting status updates of my Wink items.

Thanks, I am just glad I am able to give back to this project. I really enjoy working on this and hope I continue to have the opportunity to enhance HA in any way I can.

Couldnā€™t do what I do without the help and feedback from you guys.

1 Like

Wow! Amazing work! Very excited for the fixes to the states and to be able to use my remotes within HA! Thanks for all you did!

Awesome job getting the remotes to workā€¦so many more possibilities with those compared to Wink app.

I never bothered with my Pico remote and still have it somewhere. I guess Iā€™ll have to dig it out now.

No support for the pico remotes. Those for some reason, donā€™t report anything useful from the API. Only the connected bulb remotes report the button presses.

Now that we have support for the hub binary sensor(guess we have for a little while now), Iā€™m wondering if anyone else has this enabled and can check the history of it for me. I notice that mine shows offline at least twice a day usually, and when it does it seems to come back online showing incorrect states for my motion sensors, which cause lots of issues with robots I have set up. This isnā€™t a HA issue, its definitely a Wink issue, but Iā€™m just curious since we can see history in HA if anybody else is seeing this and having any issues like I am. Iā€™ve talked to Wink and they seem to be totally lost.

Lol I bet they were super confused. This is exactly why I added these sensors. My v1 hub seems to go offline a few times a week, randomly for a very breif period maybe a couple minutes. I also just started noticing one of my motion sensors showing on for multiple hours. Iā€™ll see if it matches up with when my hub drops.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m seeing. Motion sensorā€™s report on and stay on until you walk in front of it and it reports no motion again. Sets off all sorts of annoying things that I have based on motion sensors. Guess itā€™s good to know itā€™s not just my hub doing thisā€¦

I wonder if this has anything to do with the positioning of the hub relative to your/my wifi. I recently moved my hub a few feet closer to my wifi and I have noticed some small issues since then. Maybe try moving yours a little further from your wifi?

Eventually I am going to have to break down and buy a v2 hub for the hardwired support :frowning:

I used to have my hub on a wall shelf in my living room. In the office, my FiOS hub was on the other side of the same wall. I used to have a lot of issues with Wink and in the process of trying to get my Schlage lock to pair the support tech suggested moving it from that wall and closer to the lock (it was literally only a few more feet away from that shelf on another wall).

After that move I havenā€™t had any issues from my hub or had it drop off. I was surprised that even though it was separated by a 1940ā€™s era interior wall, the hub (and wifi, of course) was causing enough interference that I would have numerous issues causing me to reboot the hub every other week.

My hub is probably 20-25 feet from my router and on another floor, right by my leaksmart valve, which is a bigger pain than the hub as far as going offline all the timeā€¦Iā€™ll try moving it to the other end of the basement and see if that makes a difference. Wink tells me they think they know whatā€™s going on with it and are working on a solution, but I think itā€™s just an excuse to get me to stop calling. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any chance you would send me the JSON for that leak smart valve? Trying to collect as many unique devices as possible to make python-winkā€™s test suite better.

1 Like