HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

So, how much did you pay per board?

I ordered 20 boards on Tuesday night for just under $20, received them the following Monday.

1 Like

So thats 1 USD per board? Wow!

That was my reaction :smiley: Like I said, theyā€™re paying me to review their stuff (I HOPE) but they didnā€™t need to - the price, speed, and quality all speak for themselves.

1 Like

Are you selling the PCB boards directly?

At some point soon here, yes. Just need to get a Tindie site setup for it, and I intend to add partially or fully assembled boards there as well.

That will be cool. I have everything on order to build some of these. Once youā€™re able to sell the PCBs, Iā€™ll most certainly buy a couple.

Iā€™d be willing to pay via PayPal directly before you have a site up and running

After some thinking about this I guess I need to get things moving sooner rather than later. Iā€™ve ordered some mailers/labels/etc and have started putting together the Tindie account. I should have some PCBs listed this weekend for domestic shipping in the US, so if youā€™re interested in buying one or two PCBs (instead of 20), I should have something ready to go sooner rather than later.

Once thatā€™s sorted out Iā€™ll be launching an order for a handful of LCDs, PSUs, and WeMos D1 Minis so I can start sending out fully assembled units. Thatā€™s going to take a month or more for everything to arrive (yay :cn:) so that offer wonā€™t be available for a bit yet.

2 Likes

Wowā€¦this is rather impressive. And thatā€™s not doing it justice. Here I am researching various power supplies for the best option to throw a simple Wemos or NodeMCU in a 1 gang box with a temp/humidity sensor, PIR sensor and maybe a button and youā€™re throwing in a whole screen, making custom PCBs, and doing documentation to boot. Well doneā€¦ bravo!

I donā€™t have a 3D printerā€¦yetā€¦ but Iā€™ll definitely be watching this thread to see if we can get one to support your project and time. Iā€™m back to looking at some proto boards and power supplies to fit my stuff in my 1 gang box while you work on the cool kid stuff. :wink:

2 Likes

I also do not have a 3D printer, but I did find these guys: 3D Hubs. I also discovered that local 3D printing service is a thing

I should note that the 3D printed enclosure is designed to fit a 40x60 protoboard with mounting screws, and the new PCB is designed to be backward-compatible with that mounting arrangement. As a result, you might still find the 3D printed part to be helpful. The SketchUp source file for that is included in the GitHub and it works with SketchUp Free.

Now that the PCBs appear to be working itā€™s time for me to build some more of these to install around the house. For that Iā€™m going to need a few different configurations so Iā€™m testing out some ideas and if everything fits Iā€™ll be adding some new faceplate configurations to the GitHub in a bit.

3 Likes

Tindie store is live! I have 5 boards available that arenā€™t already spoken for, and have launched an order for 40 more (cheaper in bulk) and am working on putting together logistical supplies for packaging, labels, postage, etc. Iā€™ve also launched an order for the entire BOM to build 5 more units to test the waters on Tindie, but that is coming by way of :cn: :motor_boat: so it will be a few weeks before any of those are available.

Iā€™d update the main post here but it looks like itā€™s past the time window where the board will allow edits. Once we get a few more things straightened out Iā€™m probably going to start a new thread as this has become a little ungainly to navigate for anyone seeing it for the first time. More to come! I have one nasty bug identified by @squirtbrnr that I need to nail down before much else happens, then work on the Arduino code to simplify setup and clean up the documentation for new users.

you know I was thinking, might be cool to implement something similar to ESPEasy where you connect to the wifi network the HASwitchPlate creates on first power, then go to a webpage and configure things like device name, MQTT area, MQTT server address, WiFi network, and maybe a few other defaults.

Thatā€™s exactly what I had in mind. Itā€™s been on the to-do list since the beginning, and itā€™s straightforward to implement but never on top of the list soā€¦ Yeah itā€™s about time to get that done :smiley:

have just got the screen found a wemos making it

Hour Later

IT WORKS

THANK YOU THANK YOU

look like i have a long nite Playing reading testing

1 Like

Here is my 5 cents

a switch to turn the Screen on/off

input boolean

haswitchplate_dim:
    name: "HASwitchPlate Screen"
    initial: on

the Automation

- action:
  - data:
      payload: '100'
      topic: homeassistant/haswitchplate/HASwitchPlate/command/dims
    service: mqtt.publish
  alias: HASwitchPlate Screen On
  condition: []
  id: '1524351191780'
  trigger:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.haswitchplate_dim
    platform: state
    to: 'on'

- action:
  - data:
      payload: '0'
      topic: homeassistant/haswitchplate/HASwitchPlate/command/dims
    service: mqtt.publish
  alias: HASwitchPlate Screen OFF
  condition: []
  id: '1524351300594'
  trigger:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.haswitchplate_dim
    platform: state
    to: 'off'

If you have MQTT discovery enabled, a light device named ā€œHASwitchPlateā€ should automatically be created. This device controls the backlight, and it can be turned on or off or dimmed like a normal light. Is this what youā€™re trying to accomplish?

Thanks
POP my bubble

Look like i need to do more reading
Thats HEAPS beater :beer:

1 Like

LOL, all that means is that youā€™re getting the hang of this and learning as you go. Keep it up!