HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

@matthewjohn are you by chance affected by the recent MQTT upgrade and changes? Many people are experiencing issues with the built in MQTT broker or the MQTT add-on because the configuration and setup has changed. I think one of the big things is it no longer allows anonymous MQTT logins. Taking a stab in the dark, just something to check.

@squirtbrnr - I saw some post about this. I turned anonymous off and setup a username and password for MQTT. I then updated the MQTT username and password on the Switch Plate. According to the log, it looks to be connectingā€¦

Thatā€™s where I was going with this :frowning: You can track the bug report here.

HI

Just wondering how i stop having to retrigger the first time automation on everu HA restart
i have modified the automation to add

- alias: hasp_gardenswitch1_00_FirstTimeSetup
    trigger: 
      platform: homeassistant
      event: start

but i still have to enable and trigger after each restart

Hello

Iā€™m weary new in the HA and I donā€™t know how to program but this thing looks weary good.

Is it possible to create a alarm clock with this project. I have an idea to tell google home mini OK google set alarm to 6:00 and then will alarm shows in the LCD. So that i can see that alarm is active or I forget it to set.

Sorry for my English, Iā€™m from Slovenia

Yes the lcd just display a mqtt message sent to it Eg when my garge door is open it display a green background colour and when closed its red easy to see if door open/close

You should not have to re-trigger this automation at every start up. This one just sets up some basic information into newly created variables for you to help save some confusion the first time the input_numbers are added to HA. What issue are you seeing that is driving you to re-run the first time setup on every HA restart?

This is definitely possible but youā€™ll have to sort your way through to be able to do it yourself as I havenā€™t heard of anyone doing this yet. I would go about it by using HA to manage an input_number which is updated with the time until the alarm goes off in seconds. Then you would just publish this number to the HASP under topic hasp/plate01/command/p[3].b[4].txt, as an example. The HASP will then give you a countdown to the alarm going off.

Be aware, this project doesnā€™t have any way to make any sounds, or vibrate. It is strictly a display.

Do you have recorder enabled? See https://github.com/aderusha/HASwitchPlate/blob/master/Documentation/05_Home_Assistant.md#recorder

Iā€™m still waiting for my raspberry pi to come to install the Home assistant and Iā€™m in learning state. So when I was surfing across the internet I find this LCD, which it looks weary nice. Iā€™m looking for the alarm clock which works with HA and I didnā€™t find it, so I figure it out to modify this if itā€™s not a lot of work. I donā€™t need the countdown variable I just need to show when is alarm set (like 6:00 AM or something like that). Because Iā€™m not going to work every day at the same time so I need to change the alarm clock every day

The HASP can display anything home assistant knows about. Your challenge will be to get the alarm information from Google into home assistant. Once hass has it, then it can be sent to HASP.

Edit: maybe this might help?

I did a crude implementation starting from the alarm panel. Currently Iā€™m away but In a week or so I can share my implementation

1 Like

I have all the parts (including lumaā€™s PCBs which are gorgeous!). However, I donā€™t have 110v in the area Iā€™m planning on putting it. I do have a thermostat with a C wire nearby, so Iā€™m considering pulling the 24vac from there. I have a 24vac to 5vdc converter from Amazon (SMAKN) but itā€™s a bit big/awkward.

A few questionsā€¦

1. I love the Mean Well AC to DC setup, but it doesnā€™t appear they make one that can convert off 24vac (83v is minimum, I guess). Does anybody know if that Is that correct?

2. Any idea how many amps/watts this pulls on 5v when fully bright and such? I donā€™t want to overload the HVAC transformer (I havenā€™t crawled up in the attic to check the rating yet).

Oh, and thanks for sharing such a cool project!

I know this isnā€™t precise, but sub 500 mA for sure. It runs just fine off a standard USB port so if you pick a power supply that can do at least 500mA @ 5V youā€™ll be dandy.

Ah, it makes total sense that 500ma would be the top-end, and something that didnā€™t cross my mind for some reason, so thanks for that!

The AC to DC step-down converter I picked up can handle 3A on the 5v side, so I know thatā€™s okay. My concern is that I adding another device to the 24vac thermostat feed, which is provided by the HVAC transformer in the attic.

The HVAC was installed just a few years ago, and is somewhat advanced for a residential system (multiple thermostats and zones). But I have no idea the KVA rating for the transformers, or if there are multiples for the different zones. A 40KVA seems somewhat common, but that only provides 1.6 amps on the 24v side. Adding up any contactors/relays + the smart thermostats it drives, Iā€™m not sure how much headroom I have.

Iā€™m guessing it will be fine, but with the Santa Ana winds coming in (with the associated 80+ degree weather), killing the HVAC transformer with this project would not be good for my marriage. So, I guess Iā€™ll be breaking out the flashlights and crawling in the attic this weekend to check the KVA ratings.

EDIT: This is the stepdown that I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE6QN4U/

Hi Luma
yes recorder is enabled.

recorder:
  db_url: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  purge_keep_days: 10
  exclude:
domains:
  - weblink
  - updater
  - media_player
  include:
domains:
  - automation
  - sensor
  - binary_sensor
  - switch
  - climate
  - light

I suspect your include domains: statement is the problem. The way I understand it, when you use ā€œincludeā€ that means nothing else is included, so my first observation is that the ā€œexcludeā€ section is redundant. Also, I donā€™t know what domain ā€œinput_textā€ and ā€œinput_numberā€ fall under, but I think you might be able to do something like:

recorder:
  include domains:
    - input_text
    - input_slider

will probably do it.

In any event, recorder is how things are saved, and youā€™re configuration isnā€™t saving things, so something in how youā€™ve configured it there is the source of the problem. You can test this by disabling all of the include/exclude portions there and Iā€™m confident it will work.

Interesting, i will modify my config and report back shortly

Is anyone else having MQTT issues that are effecting your Switch Plates? @luma - Looking over the bug, it seems it is confirmed that it only affects unauthenticated connections. Iā€™ve set my MQTT to use authentication and can see the switch plates are able to connect. I looked for the logs you are referring to, and cant find them. Can you give me the full path location on hassio?

I enabled MQTT debugging and I can see HASSIO sending and receiving messages to the switch plates.

I see: update LCD available falseā€¦

I see: Disconnected: Did not receive auth message within 10 seconds

I think itā€™s related to this:

Possible Fix:
https://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/stable/CONFIGURE.html#hass-authentication

• Tried these things, now gettingā€¦ MQTT not authorized.

I donā€™t believe that this is at all related to the error message youā€™ve posted, as we arenā€™t using auth tokens. Where are you seeing the ā€œauth messageā€ error? I have to apologize as I donā€™t use hass.io so Iā€™m not clear on where logging resides. Can you open a browser to the IP address displayed on the HASP display and screenshot the result?