HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

The deployhasp.sh script is copying down the packages from GitHub and renaming plate01 to a value entered by the user when the script runs (both file contents and file names). This is now using hass packages for the explicit reason that they should not interfere with other solutions and multiple HASP devices can be deployed on one system without interfering with each other.

If your existing HASP is not named plate01, you can temporarily rename it to plate01 in the web interface, extract the packages and copy them into your hass folder without modification to test. Follow the guide here to make sure you have packages enabled.

I just came across your project @luma. Excellent work.

How many of these can you use with Home assistant? I was thinking about four or more around my home.

Also can the HMI display video from a surveillance a camera? I know it would be small but it would be nice to see who is at the front door before open it.

Yes, what I did manually was what the deployhasp.sh script does. I grabbed the latest packages, they exist in the correct directory and I have the component enabled properly. everything is version 0.25. I have yet to update stuff to 0.26 you just released. I have customized some of the pages and parts of the HMI, so even if I do download the latest, I still have to massage the HA package.

I did initially just download everything, put it in the proper location, name my device ā€œplate01ā€ by connecting to the ESP8266 and loading the management page then followed the rest of the directions and reboot HA.

I use an external MQTT broker, but that shouldnā€™t change anything. the issue was worse originally (with the original project) when I used the internal broker.

Iā€™ll try again later tonight copying the latest files, resetting my ES8266, setting it up with the name plate01 and rebooting HA. Unless the deployhasp.sh script is doing something other than downloading the latest package, renaming everything to what the name of the plate is, and putting it in the right location, I donā€™t know what else Iā€™m doing wrong. Again, I do what the script does, just manually.

Based on all that you have the process correct. Iā€™m using the internal broker for test/dev and running my plates with an external mosquitto docker container with 3 plates deployed (and one on the bench for dev) and none of them are experiencing this behavior. If the bone stock config doesnā€™t work for you, maybe post your config and I can deploy a hass instance to copy it?

Iā€™ve tested four (currently running three) but I donā€™t know of any limits so long as hass can handle all the automations.

Sadly, no. Itā€™s a pretty low-spec device and weā€™re talking to it over a 115kbps link. Live video is out of the question.

This appears to have been a browser problem. I was using firefox 59.0.2 on ubuntu.

Using chrome on my phone seems to have worked! Cool!

Iā€™ve been doing all of my testing in Chrome and IE, havenā€™t even considered Firefox :frowning: Iā€™ll expand my test cases, thanks for the input.

edit: Just ran through the process (factory reset, then connect to AP and configure MQTT broker details) from FF 59.0.3 on Windows 10 and it was able to correctly apply MQTT broker and port settings. If you manage to do any more testing let me know.

@squirtbrnr Iā€™ve been stewing on your problem and ways that I can test or re-create it and a test case occurred to me: can you try installing the latest Arduino code (it shouldnā€™t require any config changes), and then test restart using the ā€œreboot deviceā€ button on web page vs using the reset switch on the device and see if the behavior changes at all?

its the only one i could get my hands on fastest , will not be putting the box on wall for now just testing and research purposes. for all other i will b using 5v adapter like phone ones just to avoid any electrical issue as i have much of space in wall.

no worries buddy will print one more , :wink: you have done and are continuing to do some amazing design and functionality . will take updates over a dead build any day .

still waiting on screen to test but i am sure it will work like a charm

Thanks Again .

If youā€™re itching to test it out, check out this approach to use a Windows simulator for the LCD panel.

1 Like

Got my installation updated to the latest version. The new sensor for the plate status is nice and will help a ton! The only change I can suggest to make is add it over to the group page for the matching plate so it doesnā€™t float on the home tab, uncategorized. I was going to put this into a pull request but itā€™s really just a one line change and that felt a little silly :slight_smile:

Thanks @luma for sharing this project and for all of the hard work you have put into it.

I have my nextion display but I am waiting on the other parts.

I am curious what would be involved with using the display running on 12 vdc being stepped down using a buck converter to 5 vdc.

I want to setup a system inside my RV / Fifth wheel trailer to monitor just about everything. Like current from the generator or from the shore power plug, generator voltage and frequency, refrigerator temperature, water heater temperature, AC outlet, furnace temperature and tank water levels.

Home assistant would run on a Raspberry Pi 3, currents from a Pi Zero with I2C current transformer, temperatures and levels from an ESP8266ā€™s.

A version of HASP would provide indication and control.

Thanks again.

As long as you provide 5vdc to the wemo, the display will work fine. I have one of these on my desk powered with a USB cable

This is amazing. Iā€™d be down for several of these, assembled or as kits. Most of my use cases are currently switch panels with 3 toggle switches, so Iā€™d hope that getting HASP on the end, then two toggle openings not decora, was possible?

I guess the dimensions of the screen make any kind of adapter so it could simply fit into a standard decora opening not wide enough?

Do you have place we can sign up for email updates to your store on tindie?

Sorry, havenā€™t had a chance to test. Sick kid and changing jobsā€¦ this just takes a back seat for now.

it arrived yesterday tested this morning ( all times in Indian time zone +5.30 Gmt)

ran into few setup glitches , but then it was only my reading and information problem i was connecting tx rx to tx rx in NodeMCu. then did the right sequence

now just have to add colour changing sequence to the buttons which are pressed . can use similar for the bottom line they remain white when pressed else dark ā€¦

also @luma have you ever though of making a clip on front panel in order to completely hide the screws like in the lutron keypad or many othersā€¦

Lastly would like to ask i am fan of wired devices over wifi although ESP8266 hardly fails .
aurdino uno with ethernet shield will that fork with same bin file ? so that i can be connected via ethernet shieldā€¦

:raised_hands: amazing work thank you

Ps. have ordered more screen 4 in total from banggood will be printing the new boxes .

Should be easy enough. Do you have a 3D printer that you are planning to use or are you talking something youā€™d like to purchase when available on Tindie?

That is correct, the screen is too wide for a standard Decora, and I donā€™t know of any suitable solutions that would work in that size.

Good question - not really, outside of this thread. Just checked into it and Tindie doesnā€™t offer a store mailing list. Let me see if I can figure out some options. Thanks for the input!

Snap-fit features are pretty challenging with common 3D printed materials so that would be difficult long term as the material stresses and weakens after a few snap cycles. The existing counter-sunk screw cutouts are sized to fit standard switch plate oval head white-painted screws and I think the results are consistent with existing wall plate devices.

I agree, but I donā€™t have a good option for a wired microcontroller that is small enough to fit into this space, and (at least in the US) mixing low voltage (ethernet) cable and high voltage power cables in the same box is expressly prohibited. As a result weā€™d also need to deploy PoE. I know itā€™s possible but itā€™d be challenging for DIY users to assemble and would also require people having wall boxes with ethernet+PoE run to them, which I think is probably a much smaller population than people with existing switch boxes and WiFi in the house. This may be something I approach in the future because I do have boxes with Ethernet around the house and itā€™d be useful to have something like this, but for the moment itā€™s out of my initial design scope.

Thanks for the kind words, great suggestions, and digging into this project with us!

This is how it starts. Soonā€¦ a touchscreen on every surface :smiley:

No printer, so Iā€™d either have it printed online if the spec wasnā€™t shared or order it from tindie. While Iā€™m techie enough to assemble l, if you had finished products on tindie and separately orderable coverplates Iā€™d be all over this due to how much time it would save me. Iā€™ve wanted one din wide touchscreens in each bedroom for a long time, and several available products are over $100 each! The wink relay looks really slick but didnā€™t offer enough compatibility. Your solution seems almost as good, more customizable with the extensive examples you provide, and takes up less space behind the wall! Old house has small boxes in the wall.