HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

Have a look at automations in the dev panel.
Had it just a few days ago that most of the HASP automations got turned off. Was also wondering why suddenly nothing is working anymore and spent like half an hour to check all my configs. :see_no_evil:

First, I’d suggest opening the debug log (either serial or telnet) and see if anything is shown when you press a button on the screen. If not, then check the wiring between the panel and the HASP PCB, specifically the blue cable (TX from panel to RX on HASP).

@zonko The automations are turned on, thanks for your suggestion.

@luma I have checked ‘Telnet debug output enabled’ and try to connect to the IP address of the Wemos on port 23 but can not connect. What is the easiest way to have a look at the debug? Did I miss something in de docs? :slight_smile:

When touching the screen, the blue led on the Wemos is not blinking. I believe the blue led blinks when touching the screen before, so I suppose the there is no signal send after touching.

Although the soldered connection looks VERY bad, no pin touches another pin, and using the default connecter now.

Yeah that looks pretty bad, and it’s possible you may have lifted a trace on the PCB while doing this. Is this a 2.4" panel? Can you provide a wider shot of the device? I ask because your TX trace ends in a via which isn’t present on any of my boards. It’s possible you could tie your blue wire to wherever the other end of that trace goes, but it’s quite likely to terminate into an SMD diode which, given the image above, might be a challenging soldering job (certainly moreso than soldering to the pins). An alternative is to scrap the display and start over.

Yes, it’s a 2.4" panel.

If you’re careful you could also scrape off a little of the insulation of the trace and try to solder to that bit. Just in case your only left option would be a SMD diode.

holy crap that’s display abuse right there

nexti

1 Like

Eh, we were all solder newbs at one point :smiley:

Thanks @luma :innocent: :laughing:

Combination of bad tools and impatience I guess.
Just removed the wires and almost all the tin. I will try if the default connector will work now, otherwise I’ll order a new display.

If I might offer some advice - get some solder wick, it’s super helpful to clean up any mistakes. You can use it to mop up all the solder and it’s really helpful when trying to re-work things.You have some globs of solder there that are going to need to go before you get much else done.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have removed most of the globs of solder with a solder sucker which worked quite well. Maybe the left can be done better. Could the remaining stuff on the PCB be a problem?

I suppose the solder wick can finish this job?

Without a microscope and some continuity tests it’s hard to say from a photo. The tiniest bridge of solder that you might not even be able to see can short out a path. Wick can help you clean this up so it looks like new… except the burned plastic housing :smiley:

I understand. Unfortunately, after cleaning the mess like I showed above, touching the screen does not trigger anything. Can you point me in the right direction to have a look at the debug log to verify nothing incoming is there?

No way! that looks amazing.

I’m curious what mods you made the original hardware to accommodate the bigger screen? did you need to change anything?

Did you have to make any changes to the hardware to accommodate the bigger screen?

Or can i use the same PCB, Resistor, transistor, cables, and power supply as the 2.4" inch one? and just swap out the screen?

Thanks yours looks amazing!

The only challenge I can think of is the power supply. The IRM-03-5 can supply 600ma sustained. Rough estimate on the WeMos is approximately 250ma sustained, leaving maybe 300-ish ma for the screen.

You can check the Nextion datasheets here, some of the larger screens pull more than 300ma.

Luma, you are the best for responding to everything, thank you so much!

But I went through each display and noticed something odd when looking at the operating current, as follows:

2.4" display: 90 Ma (NX3224T024)
3.2" display: 85 Ma (NX4024T032)
3.5" display: 145 Ma (NX4832T035)

They also all recommend the same power supply of: 5V, 500mA, DC

So, given this info, I should be able to run any of those displays with the hardware and power supply from the DIY HASP 2.4"?

(deleted old post, realized I did not hit reply)

Yeah I think any of those options should work!

Hi!
Would like to build one, but belote buying anything I have a few ESP01 spare. Does it work on these ?
Thanks

The PCB will require a WeMos D1 Mini, but you could maybe build a breadboard version on an ESP-01 for testing if you’re crafty. You’d need to provide a 5VDC power source for the Nextion display and a 3.3V for the ESP01.