HA, where did the "Stop server" button go?

I’m currently stuck going the “Dev tools > services > HomeAssistant.stop” route when I want to stop the server and shutdown my Oracle VM. Wheres the stop button? It went missing in HA 7 if irc

It was removed. Source.

1 Like

Will using the CLI for VirtualBox help - I am assuming this is what you mean by Oracle VM?

https://www.oracle.com/technical-resources/articles/it-infrastructure/admin-manage-vbox-cli.html

Much obliged, didnt know there was an option to stop host back in the supervisor ! :slight_smile:

was removed :sob:,
that’s sad. I need to stop the server to read/modify content in the home assistant DB (file lock is exclusive)
I cannot keep OS and Samba running with server stop removed - yet HA must be stopped to prevent parallel write to the DB-file. (there’s somewhere a post about this)

If you need to edit the DB that often I suggest switching to more robust DB solution like MariaDB for example.

Use the CLI

ha core stop
1 Like

thx, stop works and I can run select queries against the DB
I also loose also the terminal connection, the CLI. That means the only way to get it started again is cycle the power. (yes, I run the HA-installation for dummies, home assistant blue)

I don’t use Home Assistant OS myself, but I wouldn’t expect stopping the core to also stop sshd. What “terminal connection” are you using?

You can always just attach a real physical keyboard and monitor to the thing and get your CLI that way.

I use the “Terminal & SSH” add-on. I tried once connecting a monitor, nothing shown there, so I was perfectly happy with the Terminal&SSH add-on. I mounted my HA hidden in some utility closet, so even less access. But no prob, using the Terminal add-on to stop HA core and then cycling the power to restart serves the purpose.

Except cycling the power without first properly shutting down the operating system is a really bad idea and may lead to filesystem corruption.
Does the SSH server really stop or is it just the web terminal?
Looks like you can enable the system’s sshd that does not run in a docker container. However, it is not recommended for end users.

Thank you for your advice, it’s very appreciated. I tried a putty session, yet connection refused, even with HA core running. There are some comments SSH connection refused

Hence, looks like I look myself out when stopping HA, yet need to stop HA to make even basic selects on the DB (via Samba), not mentioning deleting erroneous sensor entries

(I’m reasonably fit with algorithms and databases, yet I’m absolutely useless with anything regarding installations :frowning: )