Hacky integration for M-Bus

Hi till,

I just came back from vacations with family 6 hours ago :stuck_out_tongue:

So, no progress yetā€¦

Regards,
Daniel

After quite a few hours of searching the internet, I found the same products (Elvaco M-Bus Splitter, MSP-32 form STV Electronics) as you mentioned.

To your list I can add

• the approximate price tag as found per september 2023 for the MSP-32 form STV Electronics: EUR 700
  • Multi-master from ADFWeb (HD67063-232-B2-20 M-Bus Multi-Master / Modbus - Converter) for EUR 300, exists as version for RS232 as well as RS485

The price may be adequate for an industrial system or a large building, however for a home-owner or someone in a rental flat, this may be a bit steep [1]ā€¦ Unfortunately (?) there are not yet such products to be found on aliexpress :wink:

[1]: It all depends on the value of time. If we sum up the time invested in this thread, we may approach or breach the price of the ADFWeb-solutionā€¦

1 Like

Yes, the multi master solutions are far too expensiveā€¦ I ended up buying an IR interface because I couldnā€™t get the circuit to work. The IR solution has the downside that I have to press a physical button on the meter after a power outage or longer (15min) inactivity, but itā€™s ok for now. Still hoping that anybody more capable of electronics builds @the78moleā€™s circuit and creates some schematics that even I can solder together :slight_smile:. With an ESP32 this could be a really cool WIFI based meter reader for relatively cheap.

1 Like

Hi All,

Iā€™m struggling with bmeters mbus watermeter reading.
Unfortunately I didnā€™t succeed in reading any data from rfm-mb1.
(I also tried wmbus with rfm-tx1.1.)

I have the ttl to mbus slave module.

Could anyone support?

Thank you!

Hi @paulius2k , (or anyone) :wink:

Did you succeed in the end to read m-bus data?
i bought the same m-bus master as dknt, i asked him for how he connected is all, but he seams to be not active anymore in his forum.
i really would like to read data from my heat meter.
my knowledge about this is to little, i am unable to find the anser myself.

thanks in advance

Hi @the_knarf,

I have described my journey and some underwater stones I have stepped on in this comment:

Hacky integration for M-Bus - #27 by paulius2k

Have you read and tried following the detailed guide created by the78mole, the link of which is provided in this comment?:

Hacky integration for M-Bus - #24 by the78mole

Where do you get stuck?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
I initially asked this to dknt, he used the exact same hardware as i have.
I then just need to do more reading and trying to understand this.
I want to start with how should i connect the meter-bus master to the esp module.
I need to find the time to dive into this.

Oh I havenā€™t managed to run it on ESPHome. I only managed to read my M-bus meter connected directly to my Linux machine.

As far as I can tell, no-one who commented in this thread managed to integrate via ESP / ESPHome except for the initiator of this post @Snedig in July 2019 :))

@paulius2k thatā€™s a good start.
please have a look here:

https://forum.logicmachine.net/printthread.php?tid=365

1 Like

Thanks @skupu - these seem to be very good M-bus resources for integrating directly or via M-bus-to-RS485 converters. However, I could not find anything about the ESPHome integration.

That is correct, although it might be usefull to write a driver. Unfortunately Iā€™m not skilled enough yet to do it myself. Maybe you could try?
That could be someting similar to GitHub - SzczepanLeon/esphome-components

@skupu - too complicated for me, some more experienced minds needed here :slight_smile:

Hi @the78mole,
did you find some free time to work on this? I donā€™t want to buy these expensive M-Bus masters from adfweb.com

Hi till,

unfortunately not. Fully occupied with other stuff.

Regards,
Daniel

Is it possible to make mbus decoder for APATOR water meter

68 56 56 68 08 00 72 21 30 58 00 01 06 15 07 27 ec 00 00 0c 78 21 30 58 00 04 6d 23 b5 0b 34 04 13 59 00 00 00 02 3b 00 00 44 13 42 00 00 00 42 6c 01 34 02 27 aa 01 03 fd 17 0c 07 08 04 ff 0a 01 04 01 00 02 ff 0b 00 00 03 ff 0c 61 00 b0 0f 00 06 2d 12 ff 00 02 07 03 00 da 16