Haier hits Home Assistant plugin dev with takedown notice - let's fork

FYI

Haier US is not taking Haier Europe’s position on this matter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/19a615l/haier_us_supports_home_assistant_and_open_iot/

(North American GE-brand appliances)

5 Likes

So. Maybe it is marketing.

But they complain about no one using their local api.
Ofc. They can create a (hacs) integration themselves :wink:

To add, GE also has a makes page on git. It’s my understanding that the have made their api available to devs.

There were about 200 forks yesterday (according to Bleeping Computer) and I think ~9 (from memory) when I forked it on the day of the dev’s announcement. This is entirely a response to Haier’s poor behaviour.

1 Like

:point_down:

:ok_hand:

1.5k and still forking… :chart_with_upwards_trend:

And greetings from Barbra :wave:

2 Likes

Maybe the HA team (@system) could contact Haier as they are all in the club - our beloved Connectivity Standard Alliance (CSA) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In other news:

And beside forks their are also (manual) mirrors which could survive an massive automatic deletion of the original and the forks, for example :point_down:

1 Like

I think that only means that the next minor revision of their products will be an entirely new product with a Matter sticker. And no Matter support update for literally the same product that people already own, so they might be able to make some of them buy the new one sooner than they would otherwise do.

At least that’s what other (greedy) corporations that are part of the CSA seem to be doing.

Do you think anyone owning a Haier appliance aware of the shituation[!] will just go and buy a new one after that virtual slap they gave? :facepunch: Did you read any comments in the media that publish articles about it or the githubs? Everyone owning Haier *ware is pissed and many (former) customers quite bluntly tell that they will never ever buy anything written Haier, Hoover or Candy on it ever again :bulb:

But you might think exactly like the responsables over at Haier which thought that might be a good idea to boost sales :rofl:

Another good laugh, Haier europe got a code of ethics! :point_down:

Code of Ethics

The Haier Europe Code of Ethics serves as our compass which guides our behavior as we carry out our day-to-day activities. We operate in a global environment and may face situations that require us to reflect upon the principles of the Code in order to make the right decisions.

https://corporate.haier-europe.com/about-us/ethics-compliance/

Here’s a possible fix: have Haier call Chamberlain and ask them how that strategy of screwing over your customer base is working out for them. From what I’ve read there has been a precipitous drop in Chamberlain sales with so many outlets reporting on their transgressions against anyone who dare not want their data sold off.

2 Likes

same here. will not buy any of their product

There is no copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property right in calling a network API. Reverse engineering for the purpose of interoperability is legal in the US and EU. There is no basis for a github takedown claim. If Haier sends a takedown to github, just file a counterclaim and it will go back up. If they send another cease and desist, just post it publicly. If they threaten to sue, post that publicly, and call the EFF and other such orgs. If Haier does sue, they will lose badly.

“Your sworn statement would apply to this statement.”

Looks like it could backfire quite badly if invoked though. The aggressor would risk a class action backlash from all the forking Devs. I’m game for that Haier :wave:

1 Like

F ing idiots

1 Like

Its so short sided when companies choose to use their size to bully their own customers. Why they do this and dont see how its bad for business is baffling to me. If i buy a car and choose to give it a camouflage paint job, install bull horns on rhe grill and take it to a demolition derby anx destroy it, you’ll never have the lawyers from Ford coming after you. If you dare use a Haier product any other way than they allow and here come the lawyers. Time to put Haier in the black book and spend our money with someone else. Hit them where it hurts! Right on their balance sheet.

This seems to be an unpleasant direction many companies are going, sadly. What comes to mind immediately are car makers that want to charge you a monthly fee to use your heated seats or a monthly fee to enable CarPlay (which is free). The world is subscription fatigued and privacy selling fatigued yet companies just keep ramming both down our throats.

Kinda how Amazon wants to charge for Alexa?

1 Like

Yea, I read that the other day, what silliness. Of course they lost $10BN on Alexa last year because they sell them way under cost hoping people use it to order things but instead find that people mostly just ask it for the weather or other non revenue generating activities. Of course they could just sell them at a profit and be fine, but no, they can now make up the cost of the device plus recoup their losses for the last 5 years in one go so, subscription.

FYI: Haier seems to have decided to pull back the takedown request and is in contact with Andre https://github.com/Andre0512/hon/issues/147#issuecomment-1902075829

The reason for all this was because the plugin was making to much API calls - every 5s.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I think the number of forks and bad press probably was a wake up call.

1 Like