Haiku/SenseMe Smart Fan Support

Sorry there is no way to manually trigger a discovery. It might be possible to do this with integration options but I don’t think that is the intent of these settings in Home Assistant.

Discovery does run automatically every 5 minutes and should eventually detect initially undetected fans. Are you having a specific or frequent problem with missing fans?

Looks like the logo is now available! Thanks!

I noticed it after a restart. I have given it 15-30 minutes to update and nothing happens. It will be available in the app. So I restart HA and it’s available again.

Yeah turned out alright!

Hmm… not sure where I’m getting into issues here. Hope someone can point me in the right direction!

I installed the SenseME integration using HACS. It shows that it’s installed fine.

When I go to ‘Configuration - Integration - +’ I get nothing:

Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. :unamused:

You can try adding the following to your configuration yaml.

logger:
  default: warning
  logs:
    aiosenseme.discovery: debug

This will show all attempts at discovery in the log. You will see multiple attempts every 5 minutes. Look for errors.

Did you restart Home Assistant after installing Senseme? If you did check the log for errors from senseme or aiosenseme.

Yup, rebooted after installation.

In the logs I found this:

2020-07-21 18:29:14 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for senseme which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2020-07-21 18:29:14 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2020-07-21 18:29:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform senseme.light: Platform not found (No module named 'aiosenseme').
2020-07-21 18:29:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.integration_platform] Unexpected error importing senseme/logbook.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/integration_platform.py", line 30, in _process
    platform = integration.get_platform(platform_name)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 322, in get_platform
    f"{self.pkg_path}.{platform_name}"
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1006, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 983, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 965, in _find_and_load_unlocked
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'custom_components.old.logbook'
2020-07-21 18:29:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform senseme.fan: Platform not found (No module named 'aiosenseme').

Wow I have no idea what is going wrong. The Platform not found (No module named 'aiosenseme') error indicates the Home Assistant is not able to install the aiosenseme library using pip. This is all handled by Home Assistant so I’m not sure why it’s not working. HA must have internet access to download these libraries. Do you have an unusual HA instance? Docker? VM?

The last error indicates it can’t import senseme/logbook.py. That would be correct because there is no senseme/logbook.py in either the senseme integration or aiosenseme library.

I would switch to a fresh install of Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi without HACS and try the manual installation of the senseme integration as shown on Github.

Hmm… I’ve a pretty standard installation. Entire system is running on HassIO (or Home Assistant Operating System as it’s now called?

When is ‘aiosenseme’ installed? Is it upon adding the integration? If so, it would make sense that it’s not installed as I’ve not been able to add the integration.

By manual installation, do you mean copying and adding the folder into the custom_components folder? If so, I’ve tried that to the same result. The integration does not appear when I try to add it.

I guess I will try a fresh installation if there are no other suggestions, though I naturally dread the idea of moving everything over…

So I think Home Assistant now means everything running a Raspberry Pi. This used to be called HASSIO.

Home Assistant automatically installs the aiosenseme library but I can’t remember if it’s when the integration is detected or added by the GUI. Either way this is a function of Home Assistant and not the integration. Your error messages look like it can’t figure out where get aiosenseme. Does your Home Assistant have access to the internet?

Manual installation is as you described.

You could test a fresh install on a separate Raspberry Pi. Running multiple Home Assistant instances is possible on one network.

I will be back home Friday and can do some additional testing if you haven’t figured it out by then.

I was digging around the logs and realised where the log entries I had were originating from. I had ‘senseme’ defined in the configuration.yaml to test.

I also looked at some documentation on components and your code (i’m no means a competent programmer!). It seems like that aiosenseme library is added after the integration is added in the GUI.

I’ve edited the configuration file and all the above logs i pasted above have disappeared. I guess that kind of makes sense since the integration is never added.

As i was typing the above, i had a ‘doh’ moment. It’s solved. I had your (really) old component (0.1.5) in the custom_component folder. I had renamed the folder… BUT i just realised that I needed to remove the folder as both use the same “senseme” domain! :zipper_mouth_face:

Leaving this here so others do not make the same mistake! :crazy_face:

Thank you for you patience!

That is definitely not one of my test cases. Glad it’s working for you now! :smiley:

Is there a recommended Lovelace card to use with this? I’ve had a pretty good search, but all the fan cards I found seem to be “low, medium, high” rather than the seven speeds of the Haiku.

Thanks for the integration!

I’ve always just used the default Home Assistant interface. Maybe somebody will chime up with a nice solution.

I just use a very simple custom button card for it:

fan

- type: custom:button-card
                template: standard
                entity: fan.master_bedroom_fan
                icon: mdi:fan
                color: auto-no-temperature
                name: Fan
                show_state: false
                show_label: true
                label: >
                  [[[
                    if (entity.state == 'off') return 'Off';
                    else return entity.attributes['speed'] + '/7';
                  ]]]
                aspect_ratio: 0.7/1
                hold_action:
                  action: more-info

This is good enough for me because 99% of the time I rely upon the fan to adjust speed on its own. I can control it through this button, but usually it’s just a visual confirmation of what it’s doing.

1 Like

Thank you, that worked well after deleting the “template: standard” line.

And as a personal preference, deleting the aspect ratio line helped to display it properly for my devices.

Cheers!

Right, good catch. I have a template set up to bold the name, and the aspect ratio helps it fit into my setup. Should have deleted those lines!

Hi Mike - wondering if you have any tips for this scenario. I added the custom_components folder and in integrations I can see the SenseME integration. This works well (thanks!), unfortunately, when I click submit, I get an Aborted message “No SenseME devices found on the network.” The fan connected well via the app and google integration works well, any ideas would be very much appreciated (I am pretty new to Home Assistant so it could be something pretty basic).

Discovery is a bit inconsistent on the Sensme Fans so try multiple times even waiting a bit. Make sure you don’t have one of the new fans like the i6 since they are not supported by this component. Finally unusual networks do not work well with broadcast discovery mechanisms. The fan and Home Assistant must be on the same network. (no VLANs…)