HAOS 13.1 upgrade. unable to boot

Hi,

I was at HAOS 12.2 (I think) just did the update to 13.1 and now it bricked the installation.
Ui is momentarily accessible after boot but then it just brings Site can’t be reached msg.
Connecting directly to the rpi3, I can see and interact with the cli for a moment but then it hangs and just reboots after a while.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Upgrade is fine for me on Green. HAOS normally takes longer to update (9 mins for me).

Exit the SDCard and put it in a card reader in your computer and then extract the home-assistant.log and home-assistant.log.1 files to see what it is going on.
My guess is that you have run out of memory.
RPi3 are on the border of what is possible to run HAOS on memory-wise and the HAOS 13.1 might need slightly more memory than earlier versions.

13.1 HAOS won’t install on my rpi5 from 13.0. Goes through as if installing but remains 13.0

I’m running HAOS using an SSD which unfortunately is not readable when I plug it in in a laptop. The cli is available for very little time for me to grab the logs.
I guess my only option is to install 12.4 and restore :frowning:

It is a Linux system, so you shouls get a Linux OS to read it.
An easy option is an Ubuntu Live USB stick

1 Like

I have this problem on a 2gb Pi4 - 13.0 would not boot, and 13.1 won’t either. Well, it boots, but just as HA is starting up, it reboots. I am back on 12.4 again.

If you can get at the cli for long enough (if you have terminal/ssh configured to start, you can get in if you keep trying, if not then you will have to plug a screen and keyboard in to the Pi) you can issue “ha os info” to see the state of the 2 boot slots, and “ha os boot-slot other” will force it to boot from the “previous” slot, much easier than re-installing etc.

Wish I had read this before. I installed 12.4 fresh and tried to restore my backup from 2 days ago.
When restoring my influxdb setup, which the main thing I want, the restore process is crashing with

“Not a gzipped file (b’\xa7d’)”

But there is no problem with the tar.gz file, so just another bug or smth

Jeez why did I tried the upgrade to 13.1 :angry:

Oh no. I feel your pain. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Do them once a year or something, not worth the hassle most of the time. backups are only good for the config. Dont hope it will actually save data like temps, humidity, etc

I do use influxdb to save metrics from my solar PV system which I really want to restore. I need to figure out if there is a way to manually restore the influxdb database. Files are good in the tar.gz not sure why supervisor is not restoring correctly.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to restore manually?

Well opened a bug in the supervisor repo Can't restore influxdb partial backup due to "Not a gzipped file (b'\xa7d')" error · Issue #5266 · home-assistant/supervisor · GitHub

Hopefully anyone addresses it.

Thought it could be due to the amount of ram the rpi3B has, that was having issues decompressing the 2GB file with Python’s tarfile code, but I was able to run a python script using tarfile in the rpi3 and it successfully extracted the contents

See my update here HA rebooting after last OS update - #16 by blunderingabout

I am going to say this but I doubt I am right? I do update to every new release but both in terms of Rpi hardware and HA software.
This is mostly because development moves forward. Now having said that my HA is running well on a 4GB Pi4 until my Pi5 arrives later this week. Then I will migrate.
Please understand that I just see the two working hand in hand!

My Pi3 also went into reboot mode! Your tip (ha os boot-slot other) saved me many hours! Thank you very much!

I simply don’t understand why HAOS 13.1 hasn’t been taken down; the update ruins many installations!

1 Like

I think the culprit might just be the lack of resources the pi3 has. I even had the thermal warning show up when booting the cli on 13.1

Upgraded fine on my NUC that is running ESXi 7.0. I always make sure to uncouple the PCI passthrough of the iGPU to Frigate and disable start at boot for frigate before updates so I can do a vmware snapshot. Makes botched OS updates that much easier to revert :smiley:

I am on the beta channel, I had this same type of bug upgrading to the 13.1 release candidate, and reported it. Went back and forth a bit with the developer but didn’t find the cause. Before I had a chance to find it, 13.1 proper was released, which did not show the same behavior. I saw this in a VM installation, if you are seeing it in a bare metal PI installation it’s probably something deeper. 13.1 rc1 will not load · Issue #3545 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub is my issue. You might want to open another one and reference this.

[quote=“weehuddy, post:10, topic:762530, full:true”] backups are only good for the config. Dont hope it will actually save data like temps, humidity, etc
[/quote]

I wonder what makes you say that? My backups contain all the data for as far as it was available at the time of backup.

I do not think the update is at fault here, but rather the lacking hardware resources of the RPi3.
Nearly all the posts are from RPi3 users and RPi3 is mentioned with a warning in the installation docs, about it being at limits.
From now on RPi3 users might have to reduce their resource usage before each update, because each update can include more services and check running.
It is just a fact evolution in the IT world that things grow over time.

1 Like