HAOS install on Nano Pi R2S/R4S/R5C with separated networks?

The easy “push to MMC” option is the main reason I went with one of the Images provided by FriendlyElec. Warning: If you plan to use Docker which does its own Overlay Filesystem, do NOT use an USB-to-MMC-Image but DO use an SD-to-MMC image, connect the mouse when booting from ist, do IMMEDIATELY cancel the install, go to the menu and set the checkbox “Disable OverlayFS”. Then install.

DietPi to the MMC seems like an extremely interesting option, also because HA core is provided as drop-down-option by the OS. If you made any progress with installing DietPi to the MMC, please notify.

While I had some drawbacks in installing HA to the R5S, some anger and tears were starting to trigger a buyer’s remorse - but I still consider the R5S as the ideal hardware for my HA and networking needs.

I installed DietPi into the emmc memory using FriendlyWRT.
Boot FriendlyWRT from MicroSD and then use the web interface to install the DietPi image in the emmc memory.
See 4.4.2.1 Option 1: Install OS on Web Page

1 Like

Wow, great! Good to know this is possible!

I first tried to move the dietPi installation from sd card to emmc via dd commands from a dietPi blog or forum post. This ended in a non booting device for me.

The quickest way seems to be via FriedlyWRT. Either by using the pre installed OS or boot from the sdcard. For this to succeed, you don’t have to put the nanoPi into your own LAN nor does it need internet access.

prep:

• download friendlyWRT (sd version, not eflasher version)
  • download dietPi
  • flash friendlyWRT to sdcard.

flash nanoPi:

• boot from sdcard. It will boot with static ip 192.168.2.1 see: 5.4 Login FriendlyWrt
  • connect to PC via crossover ethernet cable or via regular switch
  • put PC with dietPi image to the 192.168.2.x network.
  • open web gui on 192.168.2.1 (default password is password)
  • Then you can flash the image to eMMC via “System” ->”eMMC Tools”
  • (select and upload dietPi image, let it flash, remove sdcard, wait for auto reboot, boots dietPi)
    adapted from 4.4.2.1 Option 1: Install OS on Web Page section

What machine type did you choose during install?

I managed to install homeassistant supervised on top of Debian bookworm on a FriendlyElec’s R5C on eMMC. I used an image from inidev. The installation was’nt straight and I had to find a lot of special solutions. At the end homeassistant only complained the expected cgroup version was not satisfied. Currently it seems no problem but I do not know why it must be cgroupv1.
During installation I was asked for the machine type. I used qemuarm-64. drdigital, what machine type did you choose with DietPi?

See above in post 15