Hardware/low level noob likes to integrate Syr Safe-T Connect (water leak detector) in home assistant

Hello.

I got a Syr Safe T Connect which acts as a water leak detection device for my whole water installation in my house. Unfortunately this device doesn’t have an API or transmits MQTT.

But it has a service port (RS485) which allows to at least listen to the current state of the device via a serial port.

A sample implementation has been done in JS on a RaPi with a serial to USB adapter in the ioBroker forum by another user in the last few days.

https://forum.iobroker.net/assets/uploads/files/1656966325028-javascript_syr_t_connect.txt (example code)

So there are two possibilities:

1. Just listen to the RS485 stream (which would be enough to get out the current state of the device)
  2. Send out commands to receive the data we want

Is this possible with ESPHome? And could someone push me in the right direction? I’m a web dev so C and these low level boards are something I’m not really good at.

Thank you very much. Regards.

Denis

Reading serial data is not something ESPHome does natively - but you can write a custom sensor and there is an example:

Hi @denisha , did you continue here anyhow?

In case of interest, I managed to create a NodeRed solution: Add support for Leakage Detection device Safe-T Connect from Hans Sasserath GmbH & Co. KG - #12 by KNXBroker