Hardware recommendations 2023

Thank you for the help, everyone.

1 Like

Hey all, great discussion and learned a lot about hardware you all recommend.

I have been using/testing out running HA on my Synology NAS in a Docker container. My main issue/downside is the Synology doesn’t allow for use of 3rd party devices, specifically USB dongles (zwave or zigbee) anymore. There are options to force the kernel to take these, but I’d rather not go that route.

With that being said, I feel the standalone device like you all have mentioned here is my best bet. I am looking for something that is similar to the OP, but definitely willing to spend a little more $$ for quality and future proofing. I like the idea of the Intel NUC, I have search a few and not sure what options would suit the best. Here is my setup of my system currently and what I want to do ultimately:

Currently in my HA Docker setup:

• Synology NAS for Plex server
  • Reolink NVR 16 channel for Cameras (have a backup BI computer that is legacy since I moved to the Reolink NVR)
  • Yale Assure 2 Wifi locks 2x
  • TP-Link Deco

Future addition needs:

• Window/Door Sensors (zwave or zigbee)
  • Aqara FP2 sensors
  • Pentair Intellicenter integration
  • More stuff as my knowledge and curiosity grows

What I am looking for is a possible recommendation list for the Hardware:

• Device (Intel NUC model or specs)
  • Dongles (zigbee or zwave)
  • Sensors that would be recommended
  • Any other options or aspects to consider?

Thank you for anyone who helps take on this to guide me and maybe others in the starting steps!

Intel NUC

I’d grab an i5 for future proofing, and an i7 if you want to use frigate for cameras and maybe even an i9 if you are going to go crazy with cameras >8 and want them all on Frigate.

I use a LST39 LR from Zooz for my Z wave doggle and it is rock solid. I have an ISY-994 with Zwave that I was using before, and I hated Z Wave because of it. I moved over to the dongle, and I am in love with Z wave again. I do not have anything which is Zigbee, nothing against it, but my devices led me down the Z Wave path, and I’d prefer to limit my protocols.

For your window and door sensors, take a look at a Honeywell or DSC Alarm system as an option. Find one that is compatible with the Envisalink. They use 433MHz (as I recall). I use an Envisalink to pull it into HA, and overall, it gives me peace of mind to have an alarm, but I can also use the sensors for all kinds of other things as well. E.g. I shut off my HVAC system when a door or window, based on the alarm sensors I have, is open for 5 minutes or longer-this prevents my family from sending $$$ out the window when they need “fresh air” and the HVAC is running.

Personally, for me I have learned 2 lessons.

1. Buy 1 before buying many. Install it. Test it. Review it with the others in your home, and then buy more.

2. If you buy anything that is mesh network based whether that is Zwave, Zigbee, Insteon, etc. then be prepared to build the network out more (in direct violation of Lesson 1) before passing judgement on it. NOTE: Powered devices are much more helpful than battery powered devices in building a robust network in most cases. My example is I had 2 door locks which were Zwave. Only devices I really had in my entire network, no Wifi option back then, and honestly I thought they were junk. I ended up adding some light switches that had motion detectors in them, which were also Z wave, to all of my bedrooms as an upgrade later and BOOM my door locks came to life and are now rock solid.

I decided to go for a NUC a while ago too, but I’m struggling with the install. What OS to use? Windows, Linux, in case of Linux, which version? Maybe you can explain your setup a bit? I have quote some knowledge around Windows, but Linux (Ubuntu) only little. I tried Windows - Docker - Containers, but got stuck.
I’d like to use the hardware for Home Assistant as well as for video playback.
Any help is welcome.

Cheers!

After the short failure trying ZigBee and some immature matter devices I now settled with WiFi based hardware with esphome.

It’s such a treat - always works - no laggs - no meshing problems - like a dream!

I learned the hard way that it is stupid try to built a mesh network from ground when already having WiFi coverage from top to bottom (like 99.5% of us?).

Also the battery powered devices are a real pain on the long run beside many ZigBee devices are a PITA and only work half even when investing time with quirking. In the end it was even easier to install esphome (and integrate it with 1-click into HA) then to onboard a random ZigBee device.

My matter mileage also wasn’t any better. Not sure about zwave, skipped that because they easily cost five times more than wifi-esphome stuff.

1 Like

Video playback on a server?

HaOS and do video playback on another device :wink:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

My plan was to install Ubuntu and run Home Assistant in Docker. Then use VLC or something to play video. Maybe then it’s just better to run one Rpi 4 or 5 from SSD for HaOS and another one for video playback? Would it be possible to install PiHole alongside HaOS or better use the extra (video)-Rpi for PiHole? Sorry for the off-topic.

I run Plex Media Server on an Intel NUC i7 that I bought new a few years go. I run HAOS on an Intel NUC i3 that I bought used on eBay a year ago for about $100. Why complicate your life with managing Docker, VM’s or containers?

1 Like

What did you end up going with?

I’m currently running home assistant on my Synology 1019 plus. But zigbee Is too important to me and I want stability. I already have a couple of Intel nucs that are quite powerful one running frigate. So might just migrate to that with Sky connect or look at buying home assisted yellow? I’m not entirely sure

I’m guessing there’s not too much difference between me setting up an Intel knock with Sky connect compared to home assistant yellow but home assistant yellow would support. HA a lot more too.

I ended up picking up a used Dell Precision 7910 from ebay and I am running Proxmox on it to run my HAOS LXC config by @tteck Proxmox VE Helper-Scripts | Scripts for Streamlining Your Homelab with Proxmox VE which has been running super smooth. I am also running the SkyConnect dongle for my Zigbee devices that I have plugged into my Dell.

Running via Proxmox is my new passion outside of my Synology NAS which is my media center backbone.

I am also running my Blue Iris via a Proxmox VM which I have integrated into my HA setup, had some issues running my Reolink NVR so I reverted back to just using BI.

I am still slowly progressing building out my home automation and security system. My main focus before this next summer is to get a fully working Pool Security system.

But for now the Dell Precision was a super great price point for the processing power and price, the power consumption however is definitely the downside of a server type hardware. But I am looking forward to playing with Proxmox more and being able to run more containers then I would ever of been able to on my DS918+.

Hi, sorry to change the topic, but i read that you have some fp2 sensors, how well do they perform, i’ve heard that its not so good when it was launched, but with some firmware updates and Ai learning it was getting better. What is your opinion and is it viable to detect even when someone is sleeping? Thanks

I have some old ex-corp Lenovo M73 Tiny units, Core i3-4130T, slapped in 16GB of DDR3 into one (why not) and a 250GB Samsung 870 Evo, and this is my HA setup (no VM - straight install). This unit is only in use for HA. All of my other stuff in my home is running off my Synology NAS via docker - Bitwarden, UniFi, amongst other things - but on a datacentre SSD - not on the HDD volume/pool.

The NAS whilst okay for everything it’s doing currently, is still only a 2415+ so a little dated. I opted for keeping HA separate as my home is contingent on it and it’s easier to swap and service. Whilst the NAS is serviced or even decommissioned and upgraded, I can keep HA running. My other Docker containers aren’t overly critical. As my HA setup now transcends any part of my I.T. lab - it’s pivotal to actual home living now hence why it’s on a separate unit totally.

A small/mini PC unit will be superior to a NUC, and with the RPi 5 costings nowadays, a better option. And easily upgraded and serviced.

i have an asus unit (ASUS Mini PC PN41, Intel Celeron, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Win10 Pro) but it doesn’t seen to have bios settings to turn on after power is back.

can anyone recommend which units do allow this?

thank you

You may buy Lenovo ThinkCentre M70q Gen 4 Tiny without OS as an option, with Memory, NVME/SSD included in the price which will be cheaper than the Intel NUC’s same CPU specification. Intel’s NUC is on different physical dimension and better hardware (I have 3 of them) however we have to buy RAM and Storage additionally. I am running my HA directly on this Lenovo hardware.
Note: Intel Sold its NUC lineup to Asus, you may not get their branded models anymore AFAIK.