Hasio Snapshot: how to identify given random file names

Hi all… I have been successfully using snapshots and the great Dropbox backup addon to maintain manual and automated backups, and have restored form them on multiple occasions… Happy camper!
Only issue I have relates to how to identify the individual backups (mostly those manual form the automated) given that all you can see (outside of the hassio pannel) is the random name of the tar file.
This plays into me trying to manually purge old automated images, but keep manual “special ones” or also avoiding the need to copy several images back into hassio when i need to restore/rebuild because i cannot know which is the one i need until I see them in the hassio pannel.
Only way I found is opening each individual tar file for the “backup name” saved in the json file, but that is quite tedious… I am hoping that someone smarter than me has ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks in advance.
ET

1 Like

I agree - I’d love if snapshots had the timestamp and full / partial in the filename.

Ths would be especially helpful in my automated backups if i could devid the growing snapshots into partial snapshots, i.e. “main system”, “database(s)” and “non important addons” and corresponding backup plans.
In my system the Snapshots are automatically backed up to my NAS. But with InfluxDB and MariaDB the snapshots are around 250mb each. So a differentiation on file base would be nice to autmatically sort the snapshots by the before mentioned categories. And a different plan for the different categories would be easily possible, i.e. “mains system” everyday, databases once a week end so on and afterwards every snapshot could be neatly sorted in the backup on the NAS…

I’m looking for the same. We put in a name and description for the snapshot, that should be populated somewhere as an eyecatcher in the file name.

This was the first “what?!?!|” when I saw these random file names.
Any idea if there is some work arround for it by now?

I think I found (digging in other similar threads) a workaround that actually seems to work perfectly:

Testing it and sees to work great, including number of versions to keep, etc…(have not tested a recovery, but the actual backup uses the system snapshots I believe).

As a side, I moved my (huge) db out of the /config and into the /media folder (otherwise empty) and excluded that folder form the backup… so significantly reducing the size of the backups:

recorder:
  db_url: sqlite:////backup/home-assistant_v2.db

Ref: A backup tool, with automated schedule, excluding db files (since they are usually large)

Hope it is useful.

ET