HASS Image just randomly died

Yep, maybe you had an older version of HA that let you install with that version of Python. The latest build fails. Nite nite!

@BarryHampants Gave up on Synology as could not create the hass-daemon file using Vi (yuk). Iā€™m a nano man and as I couldnā€™t make the file with WinSCP either, pulled the pin. Another factor was Z-wave support via USB on Synology and the fact that I run ha-bridge and that seems to be needing Docker so it all got too hard.

Decided instead to rebuild using a USB key as the boot device for my Pi as by all accounts, that is way more reliable? Used the guide here and Win32 Disk Imager to get my Pi booting from a 8GB Sandisk USB key using HASSBian. Going to connect Pi power supply to my UPS also and then see how much more reliable it is.

So far so good :yum:

2 Likes

Wow! I didnā€™t think it was even possible to boot a Pi from USB. Iā€™ll have to try and remember to follow this up in a month or so and see how itā€™s holding up for you.

Follow up - How goes the USB stick install after a month and an update or two?

Very good so far, no issues. I will no longer deploy any Raspberry Pi based O/S solely on a SD Card after issues Iā€™ve had with HA and with MicroSD cards in surveillance cameras suffering the same fate after constant writes. Over the weekend, I found this excellent article in regards using SD Cards in Dash Cams. Interestingly, it notes that you should never use a SanDisk Ultra in a Dash Cam and that Samsung will not warranty any of their cards when used in that application.

Article is here The Best MicroSD Cards for Dash Cams in 2020

1 Like

Furthermore, today I have installed HassBian 1.1 on a Pi3 using the MSD boot method without needing a MicroSD card at all! HA boots direct from USB. So far so good but only been a few hours.

3 Likes