Hass.io Add-on: Upload hassio snapshots to Dropbox

Again, just like the other :slight_smile:

Actually no, the other addon only runs at a set time interval.

To be pedantic, if for whatever reason you really donā€™t like running at a set interval, you could automate the add-on to start and stop using service calls. Dougalā€™s add-on is great

1 Like

Actually yes!

The add-on doesnā€™t have any kind of time interval built in, itā€™s entirely down to the automation you create to trigger it like everything in HA.

1 Like

To clarify for anyone else who stumbles upon this because I had to read into it myself: It looks like the Dropbox uploader here has an interval for the time between checks for new backups. The interval doesnā€™t pertain to actually creating the backup. You need to trigger a backup via automation then every X mins the add-on will check if there are new backups to upload.

Set this up today and itā€™s awesome. I now have daily backups with the last 5 being saved to dropbox.

Simply brilliant

I installed the add on today and had chose access to app rather than folder. This created a folder in dropbox and saved each backup as ā€œHassio Backupā€ rather than dated. I figured iā€™d try ā€œFull Dropboxā€ (Makes no odds to me anyway as i donā€™t use Dropbox for any other reason )
So i tried a fresh uninstall/install of the add on with a fresh token, but when i try to start the add on i get the following error:
18-12-24 13:45:37 ERROR (SyncWorker_5) [hassio.docker] Can't start addon_7be23ff5_dropbox_sync: 403 Client Error: Forbidden ("endpoint with name addon_7be23ff5_dropbox_sync already exists in network hassio")

I have Hassio installed through Rasbian Stretch on a Pi running from USB.

Any ideas how i can resolve this? It was running great and i was triggering automations which were running perfect, but since i tried to re-configure it is saying itā€™s already there.

Dougalā€™s addons set interval is actually how often to check for backups. You still have to create an automation to create the backup.

Hi All

Thanks for the great Plugin !
I have a question, I would like to store my jpg in different directory, and I want to modify the

find /share -regextype posix-extended -regex ā€œ^.*.(${FILETYPES})ā€ -exec ./dropbox_uploader.sh -s -f /etc/uploader.conf upload {} ā€œ$OUTPUT_DIRā€ ā€œmyDIRā€;

But I could not find the run.sh file, why ? Where is this file in hassio?
Ima using rabery Pi3.
Thx.

Am I missing how to keep the dated name in Dropbox? My backups show the name in HASS but in Dropbox they show the old ugly name

Thatā€™s because the file name is the ugly name and Hass.io reads inside the file for the other information it displays. Thereā€™s no way around it other than sorting in date order.

thatā€™s ugly. Thanks for the quick reply though!

Check out dougalā€™s version, it allows for snapshot_name as opposed to the slugly name.

Not sure if I need to start a new thread or notā€¦ But, I added the add-on through the add-on store in Hass.io. I set up the app in my Dropbox account and generated the auth code. (The permission type is ā€˜App Folderā€™).

Here is my config:

Now what?
I did a new backup, but nothing shows up in the newly created folder in my DropBox/Apps folder.

I read in the ReadMe file that to trigger an upload ā€œby calling the hassio.addon_stdin serviceā€, but in the <>Services tab, I have no such service.

So, what have I done wrong?

Thanks,
Sig

The addon works perfectly, however, my automation to do a local snapshot is not a 100%.
I have this for the automation.

alias: Backup Local
  trigger:
  - at: 02:00:00
    platform: time
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      name: "Automated Backup {{ now().strftime('%Y-%m-%d') }}"

It seems to be creating snapshots with the name Automated Backup {{ now().strftime(ā€™%Y-%m-%dā€™) }} and not Automated Backup 2019-01-29

What am I doing wrong here?

Use data_template: and not data:

1 Like

That did the trick. Thanks

Hi there

Iā€™m using @danielwelchā€™s addon in an automationā€¦ is there a way to know when the upload is finished?

I see in the addonā€™s log:

[Info] Received message with command upload
[Info] Uploading all .tar files in /backup (skipping those already in Dropbox)
> Uploading ā€œ/backup/39480781.tarā€ to ā€œ/hassio-backups/39480781.tarā€ by 6 chunks ā€¦ DONE
> Skipping already existing file ā€œ/hassio-backups/683575fe.tarā€
[Info] keep_last option is set, cleaning up filesā€¦
[Info] Deleted snapshot 683575fe

how can I use such an info in my automation?

TIA

I think I got everything in place for dropbox backup: the add-on + configuration and an account.

How can I test is via services in the UI?

Iā€™ve read some automation tasks, what is best to do now?