Hass.io over IPv6

Yeah one of our mobile networks here does not support it…

1 Like

I don’t have that enabled and think enabling that is a bad idea.

2 Likes

What happend in my case:
My PI got multiple IPv6 addresses from the fritzbox, something like:
09_00h18m14s_006_

In my case the fritzbox took the wrong Interface-ID initially. So just try out all the IPv6 addresses you got and see if it works.

So on the screenshot you posted, try all the other IPv6 addresses as the IPv6 Interface-ID as well.
You actually don’t need the “Selbständige Portfreigabe” and it’s better to turn it off.

I guess you have the same issue. It seems that in your case the default Interface-ID is also the local IPV6 address instead of the global IPv6 address. So change it to your global and it should be fine.

Yes telekom mobile supports IPv6. You only run into issues, if you are connected to a WIFI, that does not support IPv6. Then you won’t be able to connect to your PI.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help! It worked! I finally have access via my mobile phone.

As you recommended, I deactivated the “selbständige Portfreigabe” and set up port forwarding for 80 and 443. After that I changed the interface ID. I swapped the IPv6 fe80 for the IPv6 that starts with 2. Since there wasn’t enough space for the whole address, I only entered the last digits.

Now I would like to set up Duckdns. Can I just change the http settings and start the addon?

1 Like

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

Yes exactly. But actually I’m not sure how often the IPv6 address changes. I used my address for over 2 months now and it’s still the same. So maybe you won’t need duckdns at all.

Unfortunately the IPv6 address of my Raspi has changed over night. That leads to the fact that I must adapt the port forwarding. So I assume that even if I set up DuckDns it won’t work for long because I have to change the settings in the Fritzbox all the time? Did I miss something? Is there a solution that works all the time?

IPv6 does not use port forwarding and on my router (Fritzbox) at least, I open a port for a specific device, not an IP address so even if the IP address changes the device should still have that port passed through.

Do you have multiple IP addresses for the Pi? I usually have 1 or 2 ‘temporary’ ones which change and also a permanent one. Make sure you use the permanent one.

Does your ISP assign you an IPv6 prefix? We get assigned a /56 here that is ‘static’

NOTE: the ‘real’ IPv6 address will contain the MAC address of the device and if you look at the 6th and 7th octets, they will look like this:
xxff:fexx with the ff:fe in there. This real address shouldn’t change unless your ISP is doing something totally crazy and assigning a dynamin IPv6 prefix…

1 Like

I tried the same steps, without success. I also restartet the Pi (not hass.io) without success. I also put in all of the IPv6s that the FB is showing me for the hass.io without success.

Did you access then with something like this in you address line?
[2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334]:8132

Also I wrote down for three days in the last month the IPv6 the FB is showing for the RPi. They change.
There is always one IPv6 with the same first 2 and last 4 blocks., but the 3rd and 4th block changed on every day I checked. Would I not have to change the link with which I would access hass … if it ever works… every time that changes?

The number of addresses changes. At the moment I have 3 IPv6 addresses for my Raspi. 1 starts with fe80… and 2 global addresses starting with 2001. the first 4 blocks are always the same, so that’s the IPV6 prefix? However, none of the addresses contains parts of the MAC address or “ff:fe”.

I have now added as interface ID the last 4 blocks of the IPv6 address which was present when I had only 1 global IPV6 address. So this should be the constant IPV6 address? Did I understand you correctly?

This setup seems to work so far. Now I have to wait and see if the IPv6 address really stays the same or if it changes.

Have you inserted the last 4 blocks of the global IPV6 address as interface ID? If the last 4 blocks are always the same for you, it shouldn’t be a problem, because only these are given as interface id. That’s how I understood it. Please correct me if I am wrong!?

Yes, I entered a number like this on my mobile phone:
[2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334]:8132

This should be the number you entered as the interface ID.

So I am still not able to access over the external IPv6.
these are the IPv6s for my RPi
this is my FB port forwading:

my http entry looks like this
And if I try to connect I get this error

It restarted both hass.io and my Rpi several times.
…really frustating…

I have all the settings just like you… I assume you also tested the other IPv6 address? According to the error message, this is the wrong address. Or are there typos?

Ok but have you opened up port 8123 for that device over IPv6?

Yes, it is shown in the 3rd screenshot, sorry it is very small, but if you click it you can see it.

Has anybody figured out how to use addons like InfluxDB or JupyterLite with ipv6. I just cant authenticate with them and it seems that some internal request to hassio fail.

I don’t use InfluxDB but I do use JupyterLite over IPv6. Everything in my HA works over IPv6.

@DavidFW1960 I just get the auth dialog over and over again.
This gets writing to the Hass.io system log:
19-01-30 21:19:17 INFO (SyncWorker_10) [hassio.docker.addon] Start Docker add-on hassioaddons/jupyterlablite with version v0.1.0 19-01-30 21:19:19 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /addons access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:19:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /addons access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:19:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /supervisor/info access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:19:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /host/info access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:19:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /homeassistant/info access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:19:21 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /supervisor/info access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:19:21 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /supervisor/info access from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite 19-01-30 21:20:58 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.auth] Auth request from a0d7b954_jupyterlablite for leoMehlig 19-01-30 21:20:58 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Error on call http://172.30.32.1:8123/api/: Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.1:8123 ssl:None [Connection refused] 19-01-30 21:20:58 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.auth] Home Assistant not running, check cache 19-01-30 21:20:58 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.auth] No cache hit for leoMehlig

Note that the ip address in the logs is not the one of the pi running hassio. its not even in my address range.

the 172 address is the docker container

Ok. Do you now why I get a connection refused on that call? I’ll try to setup ssl later. Maybe that will fix it.

There is an issue for that: