Hass.io over IPv6

My isp gives me a fixed /56 for IPv6 so my server address never changes… You could try localhost or 127.0.0.1 if it’s on the same machine in your HA config…

@gamoesp, did you ever consider getting the cloud abo?

Further up in this thread it was mentioned that this seams to sidetrack the IPv6 problem. Although I do not know how this specifically works.

I am really not eager to have the cost. On the other hand, since I am using several echos, it could be worth the benefit…

I tried the cloud last month and I was pretty happy with it, so I think I’ll go back to it just to avoid spending more time on this. At the same time I was planning to install some other stuff in my Nuc so I was hopping to have remote access to my network… But seems too complicated at this point (I will explore the vpn option). I was also thinking about requesting ipv4 to m-net although it hurts to pay 5 euros more for an already pretty bad service. Maybe just changing my ISP is the solution, but coverage is so bad in my area that I don’t think I can find something really worthy.

I’ve solved this problem for my friends/family who are also limited to DS-lite by proxying their requests through Cloudflare. You can then use their IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to connect to the DS-lite’s IPv6, making Home Assistant available from both IP networks. They also provide you with a ssl certificate you have to change only every ten or fifteen years. The service itself is free, but you need a domain. The one I’ve used for them costs around $0.99/year (8.25 cent/month).

Be aware though that using this option means Cloudflare is technically able to inspect your traffic since you are using their proxy.

Hi!

So do you don’t need a dynDns service to get allways external access to your Home Assistant?

I try to get access to my Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi connected to a Fritz!Box with a DS-Lite connection.

Same situation here, but afaik you do need one or buy the hass.io cloud.

I have a solution! For DS-lite , be sure to leave the ipv4 field empty in duckdns! Otherwise the GA will not work !!!

What you meen with this. How can i do this?

if you don’t need google assistant you can connect via tor addon.

works very well with ds-lite ipv6 server hassio
mobile ipv4. you don’t need ssl / other extras / port maping
possibly hassio cloud 5€/m with GA , Amazon itp…

II finally found how to update IPv6 DDNS.
After having tried many ddclient in docker and even this addon https://github.com/nalipaz/hassio-addons with the option checkip_server: “https://api6.ipify.org/” doesn’t work , cannot escape properly…

The official DuckDNS addon doesn’t work either with
ipv4: ‘https://ipv4.text.wtfismyip.com
ipv6: ‘https://ipv6.text.wtfismyip.com

I successfully ended up using Dynu and NodeRed with “Inject Node” interval 120 sec, linked to 2 exec nodes:

No message payload for both

Now i’m going to do the same with DuckDNS but I need to provide myself the v6 address.

Thanks for that piece of code :slight_smile: I’m able to run ssl over ipv6 now!

hi, how can I connect it with duckdns?

My new internet provider doesn’t give me a proper IPv4. So my duckdns, letsencrypt, … setup for remote access doesn’t work anymore.

Whilst in my local network, I can access Home Assistant via it’s IPV6 address.
I whitelisted traffic for this IPV6 address in my router. I can ping it from Australia :slight_smile: IPv6 Ping | IPv6 Now
I can also use my duckdns address whilst in my local network.

BUT: I cannot access it from my mobile via my cellular network.
My hypothesis is, that this is due to the fact, that the cellular provider doesn’t support IPV6. (https://ipv6-test.com/)

Now, I somehow feel, that I need a service, which allows me from my IPv4 based cellular provider, to link to my IPv6 Homeassistant.

Any ideas, how this can be achieved?

Thx!

Switch to a Telstra wholesaler/retailer like Boost Mobile or Woolworths. They all support IPv6. My HA is ONLY accessible via IPv6 from outside.

That’s not an option for me for two reasons: a) I am in Switzerland - no Telstra :slight_smile: b) I have a company phone and hence am bound to a provider
Also, I’d like to have a solution, which works independent of the telecom provider…

You mentioned Australia so I thought you were here

Ah, sorry. It just was a IpV6 ping website, which happens to be located in Australia…
I somehow feel, that Cloudfare might be the solution…Currently investigating it…

1 Like

All:

I finally found a solution to access my Home Assistant, that is sitting behind a router which doesn’t have a proper IPv4 port forwarding. My router only allows forwarding IPv6 addresses. But that only works from clients in networks, which support IPv6. And it seems many mobile provider don’t do this yet.

Top level summary:

1. Get a domain name
  2. Get a Cloudfare Account
  3. Install the Cloudfare Add On

A very good instruction can be found here: Easy & Free Remote Access For Home Assistant!

Note: This was actually easier to set up, than my previously used duckdns with Letsencrypt solution.

1 Like