Hass.io requires internet now?

Hi All,
Been using hassio (on pi3) for a while now and as of late noticed that when it reboots and there is no internet it fails to boot properly 9 out of 10 times… Almost looks like internet is a requirement now?

Some cases the first reboot just takes a while, but loads with all web based components (dark sky…) showing up in red. Other times it appears to be working but no web front end (automation still fire, mqtt is still working). And there are times the web ui comes up, but none of the addons start automatically? Is there a fix for this?

As I understand it hassio needs the internet to get the correct time, and its ntp setup is hardwired to google.

Whether this is just during setup or on every restart or on every boot, I am unsure.

Of course darksky is never going to work without an internet connection.

As I understand it hassio needs the internet to get the correct time, and its ntp setup is hardwired to google.

That used to be the case but HassIO has been updated so you can now change NTP servers, and you can use HassIO without internet access :slight_smile:

Thank you, didn’t know that!

EDIT: and how do you have it connected?

How do you go about setting this up? My pi is connected via Ethernet. Not concerned about dark sky not functioning, but would like to get the pi not dependent on internet to function…

You’ll need to have a local NTP server. I’ve not used it myself, but others on this forum are apparently HassIO without internet access by using a local NTP server.

Check out this thread:

I was reading this and scratching my head. Hah! All this time I just assumed all computers had clocks in them. Wow.

Add a clock to your pi:
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/raspberry-pi-real-time-clock

Is it just me or does hassio (or some processes at least) fry memory cards when the internet goes down? Prior to upgrading to hassio I ran hassbian (old version - before lovelace days) for years on the same pi and it wasn’t connected to the internet . We had unexpected power cuts almost daily and the sd card never gave issues. Upgrading to HASSIO I have gone through 3 cards in 6 months (Sandisk, kingston, samsung…) - and even switched it with my printers pi…
Whenever the internet goes down the pi seems to heat up and get slow (and sometimes crash). If you look at the logs it gets flooded with request errors. I suspect that the internet based components just constantly checks for connections… (Only have HACS and weather internet based services configured).

I had to move hassio to my laptop (Virtual machine) - , but last night whilst working on node red - the virtual machine also slowed down and the processor usage spiked to almost 100% - and guess what internet was down again…

Suggestions:

Stop running your pi from an sd card.

Stop recording everything in the log and recorder.

I am running on a vm now
Also stopped recording all sensor data and only limiting the some sensors as I do not need to see state histories. The problem isn’t that though - it seems that hassio dependent on the internet is the problem - internet goes down hassio becomes slow?