HASS on native Android

I love the use of HASS, however there is one thing that gets my goat.

I use it on my phone, and it takes WAY too long to load, for it to be anything other than an annoyance. I just did a test and it took 9 seconds to load and be usable.

In my opinion, if you want to be able to run your house from it, you want it to be lightning quick to open, change the state of something, then close it down again. I had this experience last night trying to turn a lamp on before walking out, it took too long.

My system is running on a decent Xubuntu computer, and im running a fairly well spec’d phone.

I’d be interested in hearing of the iOS apps load/response time as well.

I guess my feature request would be a native android application for HASS.

That’s strange; mine runs pretty fast in Chrome. And I added it to my home page so when I launch it, it runs in kiosk mode and looks pretty much like a native app. I’m not running anything special on either side - HA on a Pi and a Moto Droid Turbo on VZW.

what sort of load time are you getting?

Everytime i start it, it goes through the large HASS logo, with the little spinner, then shows up the controls.

Hello there. The problem may be (read: is probably) rooted somewhere in your setup.

I have a dedicated (W)LAN for my automation and media.

Anything else internet related happens on a separate main network.

If you check any of my videos posted you see that my system works instantly over LAN/WLAN and even from 4G connection to my home.

So you might want to check what you have running from A-Z.

ps: why not add automation to turn on light let’s say 1-3 minutes after you walk out. Only to fire at night time of course.

You won’t have to look for any button then if that is your biggest peef.

I have two rules for that. One that fires at night (sun elevation) and one that turns on my office light when I enter it (at night.)

1 Like

thanks, i will try and get a video response for you!

Ah! i reckon i know what it is! my phone (xiaomi) has fairly aggressive memory managemtn, where it kills applications. So i almost always get the HASS loading symbols.

I’ll look at stopping them from being closed.

To add to the discussion - I have an iPhone and it takes maybe 5 seconds to load, and I would agree that that is too long to make it convenient. However, I never use the app apart from information gathering.

I have a wall mounted dashboard by my front door which I can quickly run a scene from, and I have Alexa set up for quick voice commands to change scenes etc.

However, even with these, my goal is to never need any of that. Picking up your phone and turning off a light is Home Control. Pushing a button on a wall mounted pad is Home Control. Telling Alexa to run a scene is Home Control. Sometimes Home Control is unavoidable but 95% of the time I rely on the house to figure it out for me through automation - that is Home Automation and is really what this is all about.

With Home assistant you have the tools to make all of this automatic and for me that is the most fascinating part of the whole thing - I spend a lot of time trying to figure out all the corner cases and over time have it working pretty smoothly.

This is a long winded way of agreeing with @dennisaion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my short winded way of agreeing with you; agreed. :laughing:

Between automation and Alexa intents I find myself using the WebUI less and less; mainly for looking at my cameras or checking the status of something when I am away from home. I usually start doing something manually and then concentrate on “isn’t this something the house can do?” after doing it once or twice.

Automation and Alexa intents are where it’s at for me.

1 Like

curious to know the make up of your household.

I have a wife and child that i would have to make it work for, do you have extra’s?

also - thanks for everyone’s inputs

Wife only for me which probably does make it easier :wink:

it is really off topic now, just need to figure out how to automate it in such a way that it is nice and flexible for such a random creature (wife and child)…

Automate it. Track watch and or wifi enabled smart watch.

IFTTT and Tasker. Alexa and intents. Andrew’s Dashboard project. This project using a phone and Unified Remote.

There are a number of solutions to your problem if you take the time to look around.

(Also, I’m hoping that English is second language for you as I can’t imagine any wife would be happy being called a “random creature”. :open_mouth:)

No, very deliberate choice of words. These sort of things do not interest her, so little chance of repercussions.

Do any of the suggestions I made help you? Let me know if you need links to either of the first two.

Thanks - i am not hugely familiar with either of them, though i have heard of them.

I havent looked into IFTTT yet, but it seems like it is a go to for a lot of people. Must be time to look into it.

cheers for the follow up!

IFTTT is really easy to use once you do your first one. I haven’t really integrated it into HA despites setting it up; I really need to make more use of it. Ben @brusc has a nice video on this that may help: