Hass.os should be USB bootable on Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+, 4B

Boot from usb would be nice!!! Then I can use my msata ssd!!

I know itā€™s not possible for everyone, and truthfully I dont have the experience to personally confirm what iā€™m about to sayā€¦

ā€¦but itā€™s my belief that MicroCenters house-branded Inland cards have a lifettime warranty. In general MicroCenter has always been super good to me and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this was the same as all the other times I just canā€™t seem to keep track of failed cards long enough and with the foresight to take one with me to tryā€¦

Even if you donā€™t have a local MicroCenter, they do have a web store and their prices are pretty good even without the warranty AND they sell a lot of stuff of interest to people like us. I have many, many Inland mSD cards and the few, couple at best, that have failed have always been in situationsā€¦ I can blame a Pi easier than the mSD.

1 Like

Right? I wish the only thing keeping it from happening was deciding to go with m.2 or 2.5" HDDā€¦ or to pick up a cheap Inland SATA SSD to replace the HDD on the addon card.

I fell in love with Micro Centerā€™s prices, but my Dad wonā€™t take me to the store because apparently they sold him bad internet like 15 years ago.

Iā€™m pretty sure both are now programmed to work by the Hassio team; but they cannot currently both work together at the same time. You cannot use USB boot on Raspberry Pi 4 currently; until a change is implemented by the Raspberry Pi team. Thatā€™s my only point.

1 Like

Ok. I understand

Tell your Dad I said he needs to reconsiderā€¦ like, seriouslyā€¦ if he at all supports your geekier tendencies.

Iā€™ve fallen in love with MicroCenter so many times over the yearsā€¦ they helped set me on the right path from my first PCā€¦ not just one I could use, but mineā€¦ (* - some assembly required) felt so much cooler than a cow-spotted box or telling my friends ā€˜Dude- Iā€™m getting a Dellā€™ā€¦

ā€¦just the sheer amazement of walking down a brick-and-mortar aisle of 3D Printer filament. ā€¦and when it went from just being an aisle of filament with blocks of colors to ā€˜uhā€¦ somebody spent a couple hours over here with a color wheelā€¦ā€™

ā€¦or call an Uber :wink:

From what I see (grantedā€¦ my github skills are too rusty for me to be sure, but the above linked contrib commit hasnā€™t been formally merged into Hass as of yet (commit still has a [prerelease] tag).

Iā€™ve also not seen any mention in the release notes or on the forum

Please, by all meansā€¦ a link to something would be appreciated if the above isnā€™t the case.

Would be so nice if you can install HASS.IO on USB Drive or SSD. No more SDCard corruptions. I cant think about any reason why its not already thereā€¦ When you have a big setup there will be lot of read/write actions, and everybody know that a SDCard is not made for thisā€¦

2 Likes

Neither is a USB stick.
A USB stick will fail but shortly after the microSD as the memory type is virtually the same (maybe you get a touch more heat dissipation from a USB as itā€™s bigger (surface area to cool from) and not as closed in (snugly fitting wrapper of a microSD sleeve)
To have the best of both, you are (as recommended by others above) best to go for a USB 3.0 connected SSD.
The Pi 4 does NOT yet support booting from USB, itā€™s a problem they (Rasberry Pi Foundation) are aware of and are working on.
The best you can do is have the boot file on the microSD and have it load the system from the USB.
In theory the SD is never (apart maybe from updates) written to and there should thus be a dramatic reduction in wear, improving over all reliability AND Speed (due to the USB 3.0 and SSD)

1 Like

After two microSD cards was broken on my PI3 + hassio, I was trying to use an USB HDD, but it doesnā€™t start with the hassio image, even if some tasks were already done, it open the image file and made the necessary partitions on the HDD, but thatā€™s all, nothing else. It wold be nice to have this working, if we want to count on such system, the SD card seems to be the weakest point.

whoo hoo !

Raspberry Pi4 USB mass storage beta announced:

1 Like

Have you got your PI3 working with USB HDD ?

Iā€™m asking as I have just enabled USB Mass Storage Boot on my PI3 and it works perfectly with the PI Linux, but when I flash my Seagate HDD with Home Assistant standard image, itā€™s donā€™t boot. :frowning:

No it doesnā€™t work yet and this is related to HA. I used Raspbian booting from HDD, then install HA over it.

Hi @Mihai,

Thanks.

For anyone else searching for the installation instrucutions - see below:

How to install Home Assistant Core

How to configure autostart

Hi *,

any progress on this?
The new bootloader seems to be out of beta since last month.
I tried hassos_rpi4-64-4.15 today on a Pi4-4GB without success.

Best
Ck

Soā€¦ is this possible meanwhile? This thread is long as hell and not marked as solved, latest posts also donĀ“t give clear indicationsā€¦

How can I use HASS OS without SD/directly from SSD on my Raspberry Pi 4?

On Pi 4 HassOS 5 64bit, it works for me.

I have tested and can confirm the following:

• RPi3+ : HA start from USB HDD, at least the 64 bit version without card;
  • RPi4: Raspbian cand now boot from USB HDD without card, but EPROM must be updated.
    I didnā€™t test yet, but I am quite sure HA can be used on RPi4 - USB HDD, as Beduir mention.
    I am verry happy with this and appreciate it!