Hass Workstation Service - Turn your PC or laptop into a bunch of sensors

Hi! Thank you for reporting this. This issue can be tracked here. I hope I’ll be able to fix this soon.

no worries, let me know if you want me to try anythign to help fix/debug the issue

Thanks

@sleevezipper I was just pointed at this app in another thread. I’m definitely going to check this out as an alternative to my current IOTLink setup. I looked at the github page and I’m curious if there is one bit of functionality in particular. With IOTL I’m able to monitor whether a current process is running and have it as a binary sensor in HA. I see you can monitor the active window, but for my “Game Mode” automation, it would need to know whether the game is running in the background as well (I tab out a lot for messaging etc). Is this possible with your app currently and if not, would it be possible to add as a feature?

Promising. IOT Link works but has been unreliable for me, and pushes way more information than I’ll ever use. Being able to pick/choose is nice.

But…I can’t get this to work. I’m guessing it’s related to MQTT…when I put in my config it always displays “NormalDisconnection” in red below MQTT Broker. That sounds…“normal” but I guess it’s really not since I can see nothing in MQTT.

Is it related to the fact I use websockets?

Hi! This is not possible currently but it shouldn’t be too hard to implement. Could you create a feature request on GitHub?

1 Like

Hi! The app currently does not support websockets to connect to the broker.

Will do good sir.

Process Monitor feature request added to github.

Thanks. Still can’t get it to work…any pointers?

I changed my MQTT broker config by adding this:

</s> <s>listener 1883</s> <s>protocol mqtt</s> <s>

Using MQTT Explorer from the same machine I can connect using mqtt:// Protocol. However, the Hass Workstation Service continues to have the “NormalDisconnection” message regardless…good config options or even if I put in garbage.

Scratch all that. I finally killed the process and restarted it, and now it’s working. Thanks!

One minor question: LastActiveSensor – why does it go to “Unavailable” when the PC is offline or asleep? This seems to limit the usefulness of that sensor somewhat.

Otherwise, great job. Since this does not require admin rights, I can finally track my work laptop! :+1:

This looks like a great tool. I’m having the red NormalDisconnection issue also. I use the Mosquitto broker. It is currently set up without using TLS. Is that the reason for my issue, or can I connect without TLS?

You can connect without TLS as well! The default port without TLS is 1883.

thanks, one less thing to check to get things working

I’ve had the LastActiveSensor completely stop working in the last few days, it just does not update. When I sub to the MQTT server for the topic, I can see the HASS service sending the MQTT messages but with a date from many days ago. In the GUI, it shows the ‘Value’ as blank. The other sensors seem to work correctly. Edit: Actually its sending info to the /config topic, not the /state topic. Nothing is going to the state topic at all, hence the value retained from the last time it did. Further Edit: A reboot seems to have corrected it, but I suppose my question about the version number still stands.

I’ve tried reinstalling but that has not helped.

Does the version in the GUI match that of the version number on Github? Despite Github suggesting version 1.0.0.40823 is the current build, my GUI says 1.0.0.659 and I’m not given the option of updating.

I tried to find the installed version to override with newer files but it seems to be squirreled away somewhere in my user profile, and its got a lot less files there than what’s in the standalone zip.

Hi callifo,

Glad you got it working. There can be some weirdness every now and then.

Versioning is a mess right now. This will eventually be fixed by getting a proper build pipeline but I’m not there yet.

Ok but to confirm, 1.0.0.659 in the GUI is the correct version?

This looks really promising!

I dont suppose you have any plans to remove the MQTT requirement ?
I stopped using IOTLink for the same reason – my mqtt broker is local, but my laptop isnt always!

Yes, I could use cloudMQTT and bridge it and mosquitto together, but I havent gone down that path, yet.

1 Like

With some .NET Runtime and other issues I managed to launch both services
However no matter what I do I always gets MQTT Broker not configured status
what am I missing here ?
ANy advice ?
I didn’t find any similar issue or comment, I dont want to open Github Issue as it might be something stupid :slight_smile:

Did you set up your Home Assistant MQTT Broker Integration? It’d probably help to know if that MQTT integration is already working with other MQTT clients. MQTT - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

Thank you James,

Yes MQTT works fine for Zigbee2mqtt
logs from addon:

[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] mosquitto.sh: executing... 
[01:35:01] INFO: Certificates found: SSL is available
[cont-init.d] mosquitto.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[01:35:02] INFO: Starting NGINX for authentication handling...
[01:35:02] INFO: Starting mosquitto MQTT broker...
1637454902: mosquitto version 1.6.12 starting
1637454902: |-- *** auth-plug: startup
1637454902: Config loaded from /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf.
1637454902: Loading plugin: /usr/share/mosquitto/auth-plug.so
1637454902:  ├── Username/password checking enabled.
1637454902:  ├── TLS-PSK checking enabled.
1637454902:  └── Extended authentication not enabled.
1637454902: Opening ipv4 listen socket on port 1883.
1637454902: Opening ipv6 listen socket on port 1883.
1637454902: Opening websockets listen socket on port 1884.
1637454902: Opening ipv4 listen socket on port 8883.
1637454902: Opening ipv6 listen socket on port 8883.
1637454902: Opening websockets listen socket on port 8884.
1637454902: Warning: Mosquitto should not be run as root/administrator.
1637454902: mosquitto version 1.6.12 running
1637454902: New connection from 127.0.0.1 on port 1883.
1637454902: New connection from 172.30.32.1 on port 1883.
1637454902: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.
1637454902: New client connected from 172.30.32.1 as 6NML7UUex77jxR6jHMX8mR (p2, c1, k60, u'homeassistant').
[01:35:03] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
[01:35:03] INFO: Successfully send service information to the Supervisor.

Addon config:

customize:
  active: false
  folder: mosquitto
certfile: fullchain.pem
keyfile: privkey.pem
require_certificate: false

Integration