Hassio 94.1 - Watchdog found a problem with Home Assistant Docker

Hi All,

I have downloaded the latest hassio release for Raspberry Pi 3B+ (32bit) (I think its 0.94.1) and i used etcher to put that on a SD card, inserted a CONFIG USB with the wlan0 file and booted it up.

1. The setup wizard runs, I setup an account, the timezone and get into HA ok.
  2. I reboot hassio by going into Hass.io > SYSTEM > Reboot
  3. I wait for hassio to load again, then I reboot again in exactly the same way.
  4. Hass.io now no longer works properly. I can still log in, but all the Add-On’s etc… no longer function.

I have got to this point by repeating this entire process 4 or 5 times now… the behavior is always the same. Initially it was taking me a long time as I was configuring it between those reboots (eg installing configurator, SSH then configuring settings in the YAML) and I thought I was doing something wrong to cause it but I’ve got to a point now of simply installing it and rebooting a couple of times and I can repeat the issue everytime.

I am wondering if someone with a Raspberry PI 3B+ can go over and download the latest version and repeat this process to work out if it’s actually a bug or just something with my system… I’ve tried two different power supplies and also two different SD cards after reading topics that say to try that first and have similar reboot/breaking issues (although not specifically related to the error that I receive). I’ve also tried installing the configurator as soon as I’m in on that first start up and then pasting in a trusted hosts configuration as there is another thread on here about a watchdog timer issue that was related to the docker IP being blacklisted somehow, but that does not appear to make any difference (and that bug was apparently fixed back in 0.74).

homeassistant:
# Trusted Networks
  auth_providers:
    - type: trusted_networks
      trusted_networks:
        - ::1
        - 10.0.0.0/8
        - 172.16.0.0/12
        - 192.168.0.0/16
        - fd00::/8

The username I’m creating is ‘admin’ and the password is ‘0123456789’ for testing

In the system log (well the log that appears on the same screen as the reboot button) I will always see the same error after the 2nd reboot, which is:

19-06-10 13:21:42 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with Home Assistant Docker!

If I have installed any Add-Ons I can no longer access them at this point (eg SSH does not work, the configurator does not work etc…) but the YAML seems to load as I can turn on a switch for example (if I have configured one).

Cheers, Nick.

Just an update to this in case anyone has the same issue

The problem ended up not being with HassIO as such, but the network the Pi was plugged into. The network switch I had plugged the device into had an IP conflict with a WiFi device on the same network. For some reason the Pi would actually get updates as part of the install (so I assumed network access was ok) but after a couple of reboots it would lose internet access and this would end up causing this watchdog error. I worked this out after more testing as I noticed that it would randomly work on some reboots then not work after subsequent ones.

Once the IP address was changed on the switch and the network functioned normally, HassIO has not displayed this error and appears to be functioning correctly.

Cheers, Nick.

Hey, thanks for sharing.

I have a similar situation.
I have a internet router IR + AP (1) - 5 port gb switch (2) - 5 port switch AP (3)
When I run the rpi downstairs I connect it to (3) with wire, 100mbps link, everything works smooth
Now I want to have it upstairs connected to (2) with wire too, the links is gigabit (not something needed but it is that way)
Now only when the pi is connected to (2) i got those “random” Watchdog errors.
My AP is giving IP address and the pi’s mac address is listed to a fixed IP.
the (2) is a dumb switch.
the (3) is a router configured as a AP + switch (no NAT or anything going on there)

Did you find any more information somewhere, any test to run?
When I check arp / ip address from other devices everything seems ok

Thanks