Hassio and cameras

Same here - crashing/freezing with ffmpeg for Arlo/RIng cameras… using Hassio 0.57.2 on RasPi3, just noticed 0.57.3 and will report back if any changes…

there is 0.58 now

hassio??? Not for me

ok, so I thought there was an update available for hass.io based on seeing this on my frontend:

but then I just checked the Hass.io advanced settings page and found this:

so unfortunately i got a bit ahead of myself. sorry

Just curious… why are you guys wanting to integrate camera’s directly into Home Assistant as opposed to via Zoneminder?

I just want to be able to view a single camera as a feed when someone presses my doorbell. I no longer have a dedicated recorder due to moving into a rental property.

I’ve tried it both ways, and while zoneminder is great, it occasionally loses the video feed and fails to reconnect, leaving a blank view on hassio. disabling and reenabling the camera in zm fixes it, but that is getting old. Zoneminder is somewhat difficult to setup and needs a linux install.

I’m not a fan of Zoneminder. No audio last I checked, and I think only jpeg capable for storage. Also since it’s an older project, there’s a ton of very outdated information out there.

Well, thats why I suggested shinobi, but there is no component for it… so zm is the only viable option at present…

Aye! I’m picking up what you’re putting down.

1 Like

Hi there!

Recently setup my Home Assistant and was looking into piping in my Xiaomi IP Cameras before I came across this discussion

I am currently running 3 Xiaomi cameras on a RasPi 3 running motionEye and as being pretty new to this, wondering if there is a component for motionEye

I would suggest that instead of integrating each component seperately, I would spin up an instance of Zoneminder and then simply integrate the Zoneminder component.

Hey there,

I have been using an old version of Motion for the past year or so and it works great

I found though that running on a PI3 with an IP cam and a USB one connected, the PI3 was capable of running 3 cams at the most if it’s only used for the camera management.

Depending also of what you are doing with your pictures / movies

I had them saved on a remote disk where i could have access to them through a small web server.

then you just need to add a camere component for each of them through the IP and port configured in Motion and bingo, you will have a live feed of your camera through Hass
like that one

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my experiance with Cameras on Hassio that I get from integration of Shinobi (installed on second RaspberryPi).

I have Shinobi installed on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. Only radiators added, no active cooling… Additionally I have 1TB external HDD attached for recording 14 days back.
I have 3 cameras connected to it.
Sricam SP009, Sricam SP012 and Xiaomi Dafang (with hack).
All run 720p.

All cameras are configured as source H264, RTSP and stream HLS (no audio). Additionally I have JPEG API enabled for all of them - I use it to see my cameras in Hassio via generic camera platform (still_image_url). I had to downsize JPEG snapshot to 320x200, but it is ok just to have a glance of the situation in HA. I have full resolution whenever I need it via Shinobi. When I tried to use MJPEG, CPU usage goes up.

With above configuration, at night when all cameras switch to black&white, Shinobi is showing max 30% of CPU usage - temperature drops below 70 degrees celcius, and during the day reaches 78-80 degrees and CPU goes around 70% … but it works quite well. I just occasionally need to reboot, but I think I can add active cooling to solve this.

I am waiting for delivery of 2 additional cameras. Will see how it will work out. I’ll let you know.

I’m interested in using this as well. Are you able to add any additional feedback from your experiences?

I’m looking for an audio detection solution as well.

I can recommend the addon below, used here:

No ZM is not the only one. Xeoma also has a HA component that works perfect. The server is free but if you want all the features it has a licence fee per camera. I had it installed on a dedicated Pi and it handled 4 cameras without problem. It can be installed on almost any platform.

Sheesh it is expensive though. I have 21 camera’s so that will set me back $419.95 for licence and then $167.95 per year thereafter… it looks really good, but with the likes of ZM and Shinobi being free, I just can’t see how it can compete… unless I spin up 6 (4 free cams each) docker containers on my server and then try and get all 6 servers into HA via the Xeoma component…

I will have a tinker and see if there is anything to be done…

Its expensive if you need pro licences. But the yearly update is not necessary. I have not updated any of mine yet. But I probably have to when I have got the mqtt module from them. I have to pay for it but everyone get it with the pro licence

Those prices I quoted was for the standard edition…