Hassio booting off ssd on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

It worked! But I had to change ā€œraspberrypi.local:8123ā€ to the-changed-name-of-my-pi.local:8123

Excellent! Iā€™m glad you were successful. Yes, if you changed the hostname then you access it as you stated. Sorry, I had left mine with the default naming. Using the raspi-ipaddress:8123 should always work no matter the hostname.

ā€œIn each of the commands below, replace each occurrence of get with test.ā€
Why?
What would this do?
What if I use ā€œgetā€?

This looks like a great method to run hassio from an ssd on my pi3b+. However, what to do with existing configs? Is it as simple as restoring a snapshot taken from the previous (sd based) install, or no?

If you were previously running Hassio then I donā€™t see any reason why a restore wouldnā€™t work. If it doesnā€™t you still have your original sd card so nothing lost.

micque, I did actually have a problem with restoring a snapshot when I was experimenting with a dev image, but that was just a fluke. I was later able to restore everything back as it was on the said dev image after a second try. I think something just got borked from my impatience, but I trust the snapshots. :wink:

On a happy side note, I am currently running hassio on hassos off of an ssd successfully. Yes, you read that right, hassos without an sd card! Iā€™m posting about that here:

This method doesnā€™t replace the OPā€™s method, but it is better suited for hass newbs who would otherwise just do the officially recommended user friendly hassos sd card thing. It doesnā€™t expose the same capabilities as running hassio in docker under raspbian, but it does allow hassos users to get away from relying on sd cards without having to rely on scripts, terminal commands, or maintaining raspbian. The devs are looking to include hassos USB boot in the coming release. I bet in the near future hassos on pi + USBssd will become the new officially recommended setup.

Nice, thanks a lot! I have followed the tutorial from 1st post. In add-on store I can see ā€œCommunity Hass.io Add-onsā€, but how to add standard add-on like configurator and duckDNS?

@truglodite, I am confused. It is possible to run HA from guides of https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/, but instead SD using SSD, without the whole raspbian and docker thing? On 3b+

@Bartek_Pes, more or lessā€¦ however the currently officially recommended hassio 2.12 rpi image wonā€™t workā€¦ instead you have to install the hassos 3.4 rpi image (the github link is in my older posts on this subject). Depending on your specific hardware there are also some additional setup procedures you may also have to do before you can boot from ssd (enabling USB boot on the piā€™s OTP, and copying bootcode.bin to an sd if your particular ssd isnā€™t supported by uboot).

So bottom line, there is a way right now for pretty much everyone to move their pi3 based hassio to ssd (without raspbian and docker). The exact detailed steps depend on hardware choices, but with the 2 steps mentioned above almost any USB ssd hardware can be used. I have been getting lots of questions on this subject since posting about it. My setup has been running perfectly on ssd for several weeks now (my database is 2.8GB so far). So I think it may be a safe time for me to invest in writing a ā€˜howtoā€™ guide.

2 Likes

Thanks for response. I have managed to instal it without any issue. It is just a matter of burning the hassos 3.4 on ssd. Everything else was the same as hassio on SD.

It should be now recommended way for beginners. SD sucks and my go to garbage after only few months . Even with my small number of sensor and switches.

P.S. I still donā€™t know why hassio on rasbian didnā€™t show te basic addons in the store. But with hassOS i donā€™t have that problem.

great tutorial ā€¦ since Pi3B+ is able to boot from USB (when removing SD Card), will it be possible to etch HASSIO on SSD like I did on the SD card? Or a docker is required? (PS. I will be migrating HASSIO from SD to SSD)

Running on a harddrive without problems.
Needed bootbin only on sdcard

Would same procedure work with Raspbian Buster Lite instead of Stretch Lite?
Any changes necessary?

Running on buster lite since a week now

Found one problem with buster, loosing wifi connection after a time. Solution to reconnect on a cronbase

Iā€™m using a Kingston SA400S37 240Gb SSD and a Startech USB3S2SAT3CB USB to SATA adapter.

Only issue I have run into is it wonā€™t recover from a reboot unless I power cycle the Pi.

I tried both Stretch and Buster and both have the same issue.

2 Likes

This was literally the easiest ā€œupgradeā€ to my config.

Same Kingston (120gb) and Startech USB Sata adapter as others.

1. Ran a full snapshot,
  2. copied the snapshot off of the SD card,
  3. etched HassOS 3.5 to SSD,
  4. plugged it into the Pi and removed the SD card.
  5. Rebooted and waited about 20 minutes,
  6. opened a http (not HTTPS!!) window to my Pi IP-address:8123,
  7. created a new user and the onboarding process.
  8. Installed Samba add-on and copied full snapshot file in to backup folder on SSD
  9. Refreshed snapshots and there was my copied file
  10. Restored from snapshot and waited about 30-40 minutes
  11. Opened a browser window with HTTPS and there was HA back in action!!

Thanks all! It really is that simple!

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for posting that! I agree with this:

My SD card hasnā€™t failedā€¦yet. But Iā€™m already thinking about what Iā€™ll do when it does. This sounds like the best solution. I may be back at some point with more questions, but it seems easy enough that I should be able to figure it out from here.

mine neitherā€¦ but i consider this mod as insurance
:+1:

Iā€™ve got 4 cameras now streaming without problems (on sdcard Iā€™d crash after about 20 min), and thinking maybe I should move the db back to the Pi to free up network traffic and resources on my NAS

edit: spoke too soonā€¦noticed some night time automations were not firing. the Pi finally crashed with the streaming enabled again :frowning: Processor use froze at 52%, Load (15m) at 12.87, and memory at 52%. It was sitting good under 10%, 1.2, and 56% respectfully for awhile.

Where did you get the HassOS 3.5 image? Do you mean the [Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 32bit] Hassio Image? (https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/releases/download/3.5/hassos_rpi4-3.5.img.gz)

Did you do this on a Pi 4. Iā€™m really looking to seed up my setup which is running on a Pi 3b+ and I donā€™t want to spend the money for a NUC yet, but I do have a spare HD lying around.

On the same link you pasted, it should be the rpi3-3.5 img file. I think the recommendation is to use the 32-bit version.

Iā€™m using a Pi3B+. No issues thus far.