HASSIO Docker Overlay2 folder consuming all disk space

Same problem here. The overlay2 folder is >12GB in size. What can be done to clean this up and prevent is from happening again in the future ?

I just noticed it because all my commands started failing and my load was very high. This was because no disk space was available anymore.

1 Like

Look one post above yours.

That did not solve it …

Just checked mine. It’s 14GB.

Isn’t that like, a lot ?
I mean, this means you can’t run the supervised method on a 16 gb card on a rpi …

The recommendation is 32 GB.

I’m having the same issue on a Supervised installation on Ubunto 18. Anyone find a solution for this? I’ve tried pruning already.

I have had this issue with other docker installs. What I discovered was that default linux autopartitioning limits the root partition size (where overlay2 lives) to a fixed amount (I think up to a max of 64GB) and any excess is given to home. So when installing linux you should pay attention to your partition scheme and either allocate more to root than autopart does or just not create a home partition at all.

There are also methods out there to extend your root partition that I have used after the fact by allocating another disk to the VM. But it is better to just start from scratch with a docker friendly partition scheme, if you can, IMHO.

Thanks.
I actually found out that it was another docker container using up my disk space.

On my hassio this command not found.
How you able to run it?

|arch |aarch64|
|chassis |embedded|
|dev |false|
|docker |true|
|docker_version |19.03.8|
|hassio |true|
|host_os |HassOS 4.11|
|installation_type |Home Assistant OS|
|os_name |Linux|
|os_version |4.19.127-v8|
|python_version |3.8.3|
|supervisor |229|
|timezone |Europe/Kiev|
|version |0.113.0|

Same problem here… I try to update home assistant, and it fill my entire disk with more than 20Go of data… I wansn’t abale anymore to login to my openmediavault server…

Did you find something to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Edit : Found it !!! It was the homeassistant database, the file home-assistant_v2.db, which was really heavy because of storing sensor state with a huge refresh rate!
Plus the local snapshot of Home assistant which was saving this huge database!

Same problem on HA 0.114 on Docker, not caused by HA db

Same problem here and I can’t figure out how to fix it. Running version 0.117.1
All I have is ESPhome with one device reporting temperature and humidity, MQTT and Mosquitto. VirtualBox is set up for 64GB Virtual Size but Actual Size is 3.6GB (Dynamically allocated). Looks like the problem is with Overlay2 directory.

Nobody found a real fix?

Bummer! So Frustrating!

All my odroid openvaultmedia server stopped because of this. Has Pihole and other services affected too, because all of them were on docker and the disk was full. Found out that I had a json.log file for HASSIO docker very huge. I turned of HASSIO for now and I’d like to know if there’s way to limit it without sending it to /dev/null or force rotation daily (or hourly).
Any help ?

You should not use json logging with Home Assistant OS or Home Assistant Supervised (The name Hassio was retired the beginning of the year, so don’t use that so you don’t confuse newbies)

I did not enabled json log or anything else. I installed the docker containter and it is configured like it is distributed by dockerHUB.

I’m a newbie on Home Assistant, sorry if those terms confuse, since I did even know that diference, and the topic has the HASSIO on the name.

Same prob here.

Pi3B+
Docker Container
8GB SD Card
HA 0.117.5

it’s using 4.3GB in /var/lib/docker/overlay2.
Wiping out that folder reclaims space, but when starting the container, it is all created again. Defo the Docker container doing this.

same problem maybe 2 month already

I have the same issue.

I am running vanilla latest as of today home-assistant docker container. No other containers on this server. My db is only 700M in size. It is all being consumed by /overlay2 and growing by at least 1G a day.

home-assistant:/var/lib/docker# du -h -d 1
28.0K ./volumes
4.0K ./trust
843.5M ./containers
144.0K ./containerd
6.1M ./image
20.0K ./plugins
2.6G ./overlay2
72.0K ./buildkit
52.0K ./network
4.0K ./runtimes
4.0K ./swarm
20.0K ./builder
4.0K ./tmp
3.4G .

I have looked into the overlay and the most usage is always in:-

overlay2/…/…/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hass_frontend

Was tracking down my space issue and found I am also experiencing this issue. 97GB json.log file on mine. This is the homeassistant docker container.

1 Like