Hassio installing RF-RPI and RTL_433

I am replacing my Hassbian with HASS.IO, both running on PI3’s. I understand the basic concept of Docker and containers, but obviously not enough to know how to install new applications and services.
How do I install applications such as RTL_433, RF-RPI, and how do I access Python 3?
I see numerous You tube videos, but they don’t seem to apply to the way Hass.io “works”?? could someone point me to a resource that would be applicable?

1 Like

Short version - you don’t.

You’d need to use an existing add-on, or a community one, or develop your own.

I’m thinking of creating an rtl433 addon, but right now the latest version of either rtlsdr or rtl433 does not work for me. I’m waiting for a different tuner to arrive as I suspect it’s a hardware issue.

There are a few people on the forum (me included) who have rtl433 running in docker, but not yet packaged the image as a hassio addon.

Search my posts for my docker that’s set up for currentcost power sensor.

Thank you, I’ll take a look.

I created a hassio addon now: Repository: Dasher; RTL433 to MQTT Bridge; Ink printer ink reporting

@hijinx any chance you can update your rtl_433 lib? I need the Interlogix decoder, and your version is missing it.’'Chris

I merged your PR - thanks for the input! Version is incremented so you should be able to upgrade via hassio now.

I need to check if this breaks rtl_433 for me though :slight_smile:
The reason I was maintaining my own rtl_433 is that there were small modifications I needed to make to get it to run for me.
https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433/issues/610.

Also if you get a chance it would be great if you can update the readme with your new hassio parameters:

"frequency": 319500000,
"gain": 60,
"frequency_offset": 350

Thanks!

I will update the readme latter today

Also I needed to make a change to rtl_433, it will break for you again. I forked rtl_433 and set alarm(1) to alarm(3) and it seems it fixed the issue. If its stable for 24hrs I will issue a pull request to rtl_433.

Thankyou for the project really appreciate it. Looking to make a few more updates as well.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks also to your contribution!
I’ll check and see if the change in alarm value works for me, too. (I just commented these out :slight_smile: )

Hi All,
I’m sorry for the noob question - I am out of my depth. I just installed the RTL_433 to MQTT Bridge, which seemed to go OK, I get no error messages in the add-on’s log. But that’s where I’m stuck. I looked at the shell script, which calls the rtl_433 executable, but I can’t find it anywhere on my system (definitely not in the /usr/local/bin where it is supposed to be). I thought the add-on is supposed to take care of installing it. Did I misunderstand that? Any help on getting started would be appreciated. thx. I am trying all this on the Rasp Pi 3, with Hass.io image.

Well, it seems like I got something working! I’m now able to see MQTT messages from my SimpliSafe devices. However, the ‘translation’ is very intermittent. Sometimes, I trigger a device and see an MQTT message immediately. Othertimes, nothing happens. ?? Regardless, I still don’t see anything in my /usr/local/bin (or elsewhere) that corresponds to the RTL_433 executable. I think I must be missing something deep about the architecture here. Can someone explain?

Hey, how did you end up getting it working? I’m trying to get started right now, and I’m stuck where you started, where it logs some failures like “Error loading shared library” and then shuts down completely.

i know this is a rather old post but i am hoping someone can help me out when I run the addon i get this error

usb_open error -1